Discus with Silver Arowana?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It can work, but before you know it, you're going to need a new tank.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
It's not a good idea. I would either get rid of the aro, or buy a tank with at least a 300 gal. capacity. That aro will jump out of that little tank, or hurt itself trying to in a few short months. That's what they do if they get cramped and stressed. I got a silver aro at 6 inches. It was in a 240 gal. for 10 months, and grew to 26 inches with power feeding. I sold it to a guy with a 600 gal., because it had darn near outgrew my tank! Anyway, that 75 would make a good tank for small group of discus, but not both.

Reactions: TheLastKon

Sillycichla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
In space
You should try peaock bass get big so you will have to make a pond which will be fun to make and look at the amazon theme at they will be able to be together for a life time.Also i forgot they have beutiful color.

A

AquaAlex1993

I have done it before in a 120 gallon tank and it went well no problems what so ever. However, keep in mind that arowanas grow big so you will need a big tank. I wouldn't do it in anything less than 6'.

Reactions: Kalawai

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
As some mentioned before the mix isn’t the problem. If discus are big enough arowana won’t try eating it. It’s more the tank. Both species Grow too large for that tank long term. The aro will outgrow that tank in a matter of months. The discus maybe a year? If you get a 125-150gallon it might buy you 1-2 years with the aro and lifetime with the discus.

Normally tiny fish in big tanks are boring but in this situation I think there will be plenty of colors and movement to make up for the lack of size. And they’ll enjoy being in one tank their whole life vs changing tanks as they grow larger. I would grow out some discus in your 60 gallon. Then buy a large 250+ gallon tank before buying an arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store