Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Florida.

Reactions: Codyjphoto

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Is there anything in particular I can look for in the future to tell?
Well it's hard to tell b/w this and spotted gars. So if you got it at a lfs then it's likely a Florida. Gators gars have wider mouths. Longnose have longer and thinner mouths etc.

Reactions: Codyjphoto

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Thank you. Yes, I'd been leaning toward, the Florida Gar myself as it did arrive from a pet store. It belonged to my father but I harassed him so much he gave it to me. Now I've got myself an 8 in alligator gar and a 20 inch spotted. The spotted is WC.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well it's hard to tell b/w this and spotted gars. So if you got it at a lfs then it's likely a Florida. Gators gars have wider mouths. Longnose have longer and thinner mouths etc.
There's definitely more to id'ing gars than this but just the way I look at it. But maybe P pharmaecopia can help with a detailed approach.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
There's definitely more to id'ing gars than this but just the way I look at it. But maybe P pharmaecopia can help with a detailed approach.
It's a good starting point, but there are definitely more things you can look at to generate an id.

I'm thinking I'll try and throw together a full write up with pics to demonstrate. I believe some of the old links and pictures in the stickies no longer work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store