Pond matrix vs ceramic rings, help!

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
Hi everyone I need everyone’s answer to this, which is better and why. I need to decide either go with pond matrix or ceramic rings for my sump? My sump is 4x20x20 with K2 media and I would like to add some more media to my sump, will be thankful if everyone can give their opinions. Thanks Mfk

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All those materials (including something as simple s lava rock) are simply surfaces for beneficial bacteria to grow on.
One may have more surface area than another, providing in theory (more area, so more good bacteria).
But bacterial populations coincide with the amount of ammonia, and nitrite produced by the stocking of fish. Fewer fish, less ammonia, many fish. more metabolism byproducts.
So with any media, if your ammonia, or nitrite spikes, then you need more or maybe better media (or more water changes).
If it remains stable, you probably don't, unless you add more fish.
If you don't regularly clean the gunk out of your media, and it gets plugged up with debris, it doesn't matter how much surface area you have. Beneficial bacteria are aerobic, so if covered with gunk, they don't function as efficiently.
If you mechanically filter out debris before the bio-media, you may not need to clean it as often.
I use lava rock as bio-media, I can get a barrel full for under $10, and I often use 50 gallon barrels as sumps filled with it, and mechanically filter the effluent with filter socks to prevent the bio-media from muddying up.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I have both in my sump. Couldn’t tell you which is better. I just buy what’s on sale. Got 3 500ml containers of matrix yesterday for $6 each so that’s what I bought. I think what duanes duanes is spot on with keeping your media clean being a very important step in keeping Ammonia, trite, and trate at manageable levels. I try to swish my media bags in a bucket of water change water at least once per month to make sure it’s clean and in tip top shape.

Reactions: RD.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I prefer matrix as it's been preferred by a few with lots of surface area. So compared to ceramic rings there's the advantage atleast for me as I use it.

But as mentioned already. There are other options out there and if tank maintenance isn't done then really makes no difference.

Reactions: Jhay3513

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Tank size in gallons? Sump size in gallons? Flow rate? Stock in the tank?

Pond matrix is probably better than "ceramic rings", if by "ceramic rings" you mean what I mean by "ceramic rings".....which is the ceramic loops at the bottom of an eHeim canister filter...the "efhi...whatever"? But, that's just a big guess on my part in the middle of the night on an Internet forum....

Answer the first few questions for us, and we'll tell you if you have enough bio-matrix type stuff or not.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
As stated above, all biological media is simply an inert surface for beneficial bacteria to colonize. Between pond matrix and REAL ceramic media, I don't see much debate for either...buy whatever is cheaper.

Be mindful of knockoff ceramic media.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
With dozens of different rings available, matrix, lava rock etc....I think it would be hard to find a definitive answer as to which is better. I would imagine the smooth rings would be better than porous media if you don't want to rinse the media often since it is probably less likely to build up gunk. I think a lot of it is situational and depends on the set up and stocking. In a bare bottom spotless setup almost all the bb will be in the filter so high surface area is probably more important than in a heavily planted scaped tank that has a lot of colonization in the tank itself. Just a guess, but by volume I would rank it as follows. Matrix, porous rings, smooth rings, lava rock. I think Oddball Oddball posted a chart on another thread that gave a good breakdown of surface area by media type, I'll repost it if I can find it.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store