White jelly like blobs?

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
For the past few weeks my flowerhorn has been dropping semi translucent blobs. His appetite seems to be down and his color is down. I did a 75% wc tonight, but I am not sure what these blobs are. I have seen white poop disease, but this stuff seems completely different? Any advice?

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I've never seen anything like that, but if you can provide a few more details about him and his tank that will help others to help you.

Can you please post
Tank size?
His size?
Ammonia level?
Nitrite level?
Nitrate level?
Any tank mates?
How long have you had him?
What is he fed and how often?

The more information you can share the more people can help. :)

Also, has the bulge in his belly always been there? Can you give a little information on that as it appears very pronounced in the two bottom pics, almost like something's stuck in him but that could just be the angle of the pic.

Good luck with him.

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
There is a female in with him now, but he was doing this a little before I put her in. The bulge in his stomach has been there. He is currently in a 60 gallon tall I think, he is maybe 7 or 8 inches. No idea on water quality, but it wouldn't be accurate now with the water change anyway. He eats pellets normally, and no I don't over feed him. I have had him about 6 or 7 months I would guess. Here is a healthier pic.

IMG_0203.JPG

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Fingers crossed you can get some help with him. I've never seen anything like what he's doing so I'm no help, but hopefully someone chimes in for you.

May I suggest giving him daily 40-50% water changes until you know what it is? If I ever have a mystery problem in my tanks I do decent daily changes until either I know what it is or it fixes itself. Most problems will clear up without meds or the like if the water is in top condition.

Good luck. :)

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
C Cosmic_surfer Sorry my experience with fish disease is pretty limited but I'll give it a guess. To me it looks like your FH has a prolapsed anus. It could be caused by over eating or eating food with too much protein or Hexamita or Camallanus. What your seeing is the intestine of the fish inverted so they protrude out of the fishes anus. Any dropping you see is likely white and is actually the intestinal wall shedding.

In my experience it seems to happen more frequently in FH's and other Cichlid hybrids then Naturally occurring species. Whether this is because of them being accidentally genetically prone to it or some other reason I don't know. I can only speak from my limited experience/ observations and it was more often Hybrids that I had that either came with or shortly after having them seemed to develop such afflictions. I've actually never had a naturally occurring species I've kept have such a issue. Hence why I feel it's more prone to happen to hybrids.

It can be treated as far as I know with or at least I've had success using Epsom Salts. R.D. has a great and informative sticky about using Epsom Salts I added a link to it for your convenience. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/treating-hexamita-aka-spironucleus.339362/.Other treatments I've no personal experience with but have heard used are fenbendazole, levamisole, metronidazole and praziquantel.

Of course making sure your water parameters are optimal during this time is also of extreme importance. In the future you may want to change your feeding habits. Camallanus is a naturally occurring worm in the intestines of fish but get out of hand when outside factors cause undue stress or constipation, etc. I personally don't feed everyday and give me fish a varied diet as well as pre-soak pellets to stop them from expanding later after the fish has consumed them.

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
It isn't a prolapsed anus man, he is dropping these clear jelly looking floaters all over the tank. I vacuum them up when I change the water, and it doesn't stay sticking out.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
C Cosmic_surfer Sorry I couldn't be of more help, as said I'm not very versed in freshwater fish diseases. It just looked to me like his intestines where hanging out and I figured the blobs was shedding of the intestinal wall. Prolapses can revert but since you say you're sure it's not what I said the only way I can think of helping is to move your thread.

The FH section doesn't get much attention on here compared to some of the others sections so I'm going to offer to move your thread to our disease section if you agree to it and hopefully someone more knowledgeable then I can chime in. Just let me know via pm or you can respond here and I'll make the move for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store