The team (my polys)

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
are the white spots circular?

on my ac70 I replace the sponge regularly but leave the ceramic I also have a filter max pre-filter on it that I replace the sponge with a larger one instead of cleaning
to the white spots: yes, the are. Or at least appear to be.

Thanks for responding. I will change the sponge tomorrow. What is a pre-filter?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
do you have a pleco in with them?

a pre filter goes on the intake I use mine as a mechanical filter before it gets to therest of the filter it also keeps fry and java moss from getting sucked up into the filter

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You can put purigen in your filter. Just get prebagged one maybe get two so while you are recharging one you can use the other. With plant level lighting you get algae the feather /blackbeard probably came in on plants and can live even in the lowest nitrate tanks. Manual removal or in one thread I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide squirt on it during w/c or remove item and do it. Either way I dealt with some different algae's in the 75 and now in the 180 too eventually it starts to receded and die off with good husbandry skills. My nitrates are around 40 on w/c day and around 10 when done. I'm hooking up a drip w/c this weekend hopefully, but I think ill still do some vacuuming and smaller weekly w/c once its in place. Don't get too wrapped up in it just keep up maintenance. The sponge really shouldnt need replacement all that much just rinse it out really good, I guess though you could I mean it doesn't get any cleaner then new.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You can put purigen in your filter. Just get prebagged one maybe get two so while you are recharging one you can use the other. With plant level lighting you get algae the feather /blackbeard probably came in on plants and can live even in the lowest nitrate tanks. Manual removal or in one thread I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide squirt on it during w/c or remove item and do it. Either way I dealt with some different algae's in the 75 and now in the 180 too eventually it starts to receded and die off with good husbandry skills. My nitrates are around 40 on w/c day and around 10 when done. I'm hooking up a drip w/c this weekend hopefully, but I think ill still do some vacuuming and smaller weekly w/c once its in place. Don't get too wrapped up in it just keep up maintenance. The sponge really shouldnt need replacement all that much just rinse it out really good, I guess though you could I mean it doesn't get any cleaner then new.
+1

The tank looks awesome and i love piggy smalls lol

Dont swap out your foam. Along with mech it also provides additional bio as bb will colonize on/in it.

Look i to swiss tropicals poret foam. I hate the foam block that cpme with the ac filters they are complete garbage. I switched mine out for poret foam 30ppi and it makes a hige difference. Tje poret foam is really dense similar to the consistency of a sponge filter amd does a great job polishing the water. It comes in 2 or 4 inch sheets and you just cut it to match the old foam. Get the 2 inch thickness as its much easier to clean than 4 inches.

twentyleagues twentyleagues are you gonna document the drip system build ? If you do tag me as im eventually going to set one up as well

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
A preflter is literally just a round sponge that you put over your intake. Just a lot of crap before it gets into the filter and you can clean that really easily.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
clm08k clm08k i have a piece of 30ppi poret foam already cut to fit an ac110. If you want pm your adress and i'll mail it to you. No sense in. Spending a pretty prnny on a whole sheet of the stuff for 1 filter.

If you have chlorine or chlamramine in your tap and need to use prime when doing a wc. Just squeeze out your foam pads in tank water when draining. Shoukdnt have to do it more than once or twice a month.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
+1

The tank looks awesome and i love piggy smalls lol

Dont swap out your foam. Along with mech it also provides additional bio as bb will colonize on/in it.

Look i to swiss tropicals poret foam. I hate the foam block that cpme with the ac filters they are complete garbage. I switched mine out for poret foam 30ppi and it makes a hige difference. Tje poret foam is really dense similar to the consistency of a sponge filter amd does a great job polishing the water. It comes in 2 or 4 inch sheets and you just cut it to match the old foam. Get the 2 inch thickness as its much easier to clean than 4 inches.

twentyleagues twentyleagues are you gonna document the drip system build ? If you do tag me as im eventually going to set one up as well
with mine because of the high bioload from plecos the foam just gets to clogged to clean thats why I swap it letting the ceramic rings handle the bioload but using the prefilter means I swap it less frequently

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
with mine because of the high bioload from plecos the foam just gets to clogged to clean thats why I swap it letting the ceramic rings handle the bioload but using the prefilter means I swap it less frequently
Too each his own man but replacing an ac110 foam pad constantly just seems like a waste when all that has to be done is a few squeezes and she woumd ne good to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store