Update/Concerns. Also people wanted pictures so here they are!

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
I added to glass catfish to the 75 and they are in hiding. I wanted to see how they would and the other fish would react to the glass catfish but do you think adding more will bring them out of hiding? Currently in the tank, 3 male bettas 2 older ones (dont flame, they have fully intact fins and the 2 older ones don't move much while the younger one ignore everyone lol, no flaring at eachother either). And 5 Boseman rainbowfish.

To the 75 going to plant it soon and add 6 Dario Dario, 8 sump loaches, female bettas, pearl or paradise or some less aggressive ones (the 6 honey in my other tank "Mixed species" nipped the 2 older bettas), more glass catfish if you guys recommend it, and a dither species!

As I promised here's pics of my tank. I bought them all from Craigslist, cleaned them, and redesigned them. Still trying to rehome some of the oddball fish that came with the tanks.

Just for fun I'll show you the tank i bought for my sister (artificial looking) :]

1508371989789283448040.jpg

150837200481364693233.jpg

1508372034412530222392.jpg

1508372043306195665770.jpg

15083720560931234506085.jpg

1508372068339532153645.jpg

15083720904951436073697.jpg

Reactions: convict360

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Which of those tanks has three bettas in it? Its really cool that you got two males to get along, then adding a third and having that work is some great luck. :D

As for the glass cats they like groups. Keeping less than 6 is not recommended as they're very social fish, adding more should make them feel more comfortable - the more the merrier. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Which of those tanks has three bettas in it? Its really cool that you got two males to get along, then adding a third and having that work is some great luck. :D

As for the glass cats they like groups. Keeping less than 6 is not recommended as they're very social fish, adding more should make them feel more comfortable - the more the merrier. :)
They are in the 75. The younger betta flared and chased the minnow for the first day, but now he lets the rainbowfish do their chasing and nagging around him with no problem. The 2 older bettas look half dead but I guess that's how they are, I rehomed them from horrible conditions like the fluval chi with RCS for example. The younger one looks at them but no flaring or nipping. I tried to keep the 2 older ones with my gourami but they constantly nipped their fins, at least this is working out now!

Ok so I'll try to add more glass catfish. I got them from petco since the guppies were nipping their whiskers and fins so..... another rescue???

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
They are in the 75. The younger betta flared and chased the minnow for the first day, but now he lets the rainbowfish do their chasing and nagging around him with no problem. The 2 older bettas look half dead but I guess that's how they are, I rehomed them from horrible conditions like the fluval chi with RCS for example. The younger one looks at them but no flaring or nipping. I tried to keep the 2 older ones with my gourami but they constantly nipped their fins, at least this is working out now!
Yeah, it could of ended much worse. You're very lucky to be able to keep them together.

Can I be a pain and ask of you can snap some pics of the bettas when you get the chance? I'm slightly obsessed with them haha

Ok so I'll try to add more glass catfish. I got them from petco since the guppies were nipping their whiskers and fins so..... another rescue???
I'm not sure I'd consider that a rescue... Every time someone purchases fish that are kept in horrible conditions that is a sale for the store. Sales are a GOOD thing to any store.

If a tank of glass catfish sells out in a week then the store will assume they're a highly sought after fish and get more in the hopes of increasing their profit margin.

Think of the bettas in little cups. People see them in the tiny cup and buy them out of pitty for the fish, not realizing that all they've done is freed up a cup for a new betta to be shoved in. The same applies to all the fish in their care, if they sell then the shop will get more in the hopes that they will also sell.

The best way to stop these large chain stores from keeping fish in crappy conditions is to not buy the fish from them. I know it's hard to leave the fish in horrible conditions but if they don't make money off of the fish sooner or later they will implement change. If every fish they order dies because of they're lack of knowledge they'll (hopefully) start reading..

That being said if I were you I'd still get the glass cats some extra friends. :)

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Yeah, it could of ended much worse. You're very lucky to be able to keep them together.

Can I be a pain and ask of you can snap some pics of the bettas when you get the chance? I'm slightly obsessed with them haha

I'm not sure I'd consider that a rescue... Every time someone purchases fish that are kept in horrible conditions that is a sale for the store. Sales are a GOOD thing to any store.

If a tank of glass catfish sells out in a week then the store will assume they're a highly sought after fish and get more in the hopes of increasing their profit margin.

Think of the bettas in little cups. People see them in the tiny cup and buy them out of pitty for the fish, not realizing that all they've done is freed up a cup for a new betta to be shoved in. The same applies to all the fish in their care, if they sell then the shop will get more in the hopes that they will also sell.

The best way to stop these large chain stores from keeping fish in crappy conditions is to not buy the fish from them. I know it's hard to leave the fish in horrible conditions but if they don't make money off of the fish sooner or later they will implement change. If every fish they order dies because of they're lack of knowledge they'll (hopefully) start reading..

That being said if I were you I'd still get the glass cats some extra friends. :)
They are hard to see sorry. The older ones are the ones that are hard to spot or see. The younger one likes the anubias which is where the old red viel tail hangs out and 0 aggression which is what surprised me! My dad said "hell no, those bettas will test eachother to shreds!" Guess I proved him wrong...... anyways am I safe to get some baby female bettas or more males? Or am I just extremely lucky and don't press it?

Also I was thinking sumo loaches but will the decimate the bladder and ramshorn snails? If so what's a better bottom dweller? I put cories out of the picture as I only keep them with sand.

Picyures: 1st 1 is the young veil tail, the 2 middle ones are a blue/turquoise betta, and a red betta, last is the 2 glass catfish hiding in the cave.

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
They are hard to see sorry. The older ones are the ones that are hard to spot or see. The younger one likes the anubias which is where the old red viel tail hangs out and 0 aggression which is what surprised me! My dad said "hell no, those bettas will test eachother to shreds!" Guess I proved him

Sorry forgot to upload images. Sorry about blurry images....
20171018_192320.jpg

20171018_192345.jpg

20171018_192459.jpg

20171018_192418.jpg

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
They are hard to see sorry. The older ones are the ones that are hard to spot or see. The younger one likes the anubias which is where the old red viel tail hangs out and 0 aggression which is what surprised me! My dad said "hell no, those bettas will test eachother to shreds!" Guess I proved him wrong...... anyways am I safe to get some baby female bettas or more males? Or am I just extremely lucky and don't press it?

Also I was thinking sumo loaches but will the decimate the bladder and ramshorn snails? If so what's a better bottom dweller? I put cories out of the picture as I only keep them with sand.

Picyures: 1st 1 is the young veil tail, the 2 middle ones are a blue/turquoise betta, and a red betta, last is the 2 glass catfish hiding in the cave.
That young male has beautiful coloured fins. And I can't even see the glass cats in the last pic lol

My old betta used to lounge in the plants as he got older, I'd expect to not have the older ones much longer if they've been doing that for a while. :( although I'd wager that the age of the older two is why you don't get much aggression between them, I'd assume the older ones can't be bothered fighting and the young one wouldn't perceive them as a threat... Just a theory. :)

As for getting more bettas I wouldn't risk it. You're lucky they all get along as it is :D if I were in your shoes I'd wait a few months until the older two pass on, then try more with just the young one. I definitely would not add females to a tank with multiple males if the males all got along, that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen :)

As for bottom dwellers maybe someone else can offer some help. I've never kept the loaches you mentioned and all the bottom dwellers I keep (corys, kuhli, pleco, synodontis) are on sand or small smooth pebbles so I don't feel comfortable recommending them for rougher pebbles.

Reactions: Icedcoldmine
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store