Some of My Cichlids from My Past

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Well, I can say that I am not the first person to stock my tanks with the fish I like nor will I be the last. After all this is a hobby as it is called an aquarium hobby so some people will do things a bit differently. Sure, to same they may see it as being cruel, irresponsible, what ever and ever, but I take great care of my fish, they get lots of water changes and good quality foods. I feed them twice a day and do water changes every other day.
Knock on wood, I have NOT lost any fish yet. The only ones I did lose were eaten.
As I mentioned before I will be getting a bigger aquarium whenever I can.
Trust me when I tell you, I know how big my fish will get. I have already rehomed some of my fish. The pacu, oscar, and clown knife and the spotted metynnis have gone to a good home. I am thinking about just keeping the myleus, my geos, my chocolate, my severum, the royal pleco, and the lima with a few angelfish in a 125 gallon or so. I also over filter every aquarium I have, I do triple the amount of filteration per gallons.
That's why I get so defensive when people try to condescend me or belittle or bring me down or be passive aggressive. I HATE it when fish keepers do that to people, it's a hobby let people enjoy it and learn about fish instead of putting them down. Some people will leave the hobby because of people like that and it will leave a bad taste in their mouth's on the fish keeping hobby.
I often say that the fish hobby can sometimes be one of the controversial and hypocritical hobby, but I still love it and enjoy it.
I am NO photographer and sure sometimes I do take ****ty pictures because I use my smartphone, but I am getting a good digital camera in a few weeks so I hope that changes. I am looking up ways to take better pictures.
Thank you for being by my side, I love fish keepers like you.<3 :)
You must understand why people have been criticizing you though. It's not people just being mean, I think you're being sensitive. But you're also putting your neck out there for criticism. You're asking for it man honestly. To many people you're not doing something differently, as you've stated, but rather the incorrect way. That's just the truth, I'm not insulting you.

Now all that being said, you claim to know what you're doing-prove it. Stop buying fish. Work on getting that bigger tank, you know what you have to do personally to get that tank. Organize yourself in a way that will lead you to getting your tank finally. Figure out all of the tiny things that you have to do to get that. Work towards your goal in little, bite sized increments.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
You must understand why people have been criticizing you though. It's not people just being mean, I think you're being sensitive. But you're also putting your neck out there for criticism. You're asking for it man honestly. To many people you're not doing something differently, as you've stated, but rather the incorrect way. That's just the truth, I'm not insulting you.

Now all that being said, you claim to know what you're doing-prove it. Stop buying fish. Work on getting that bigger tank, you know what you have to do personally to get that tank. Organize yourself in a way that will lead you to getting your tank finally. Figure out all of the tiny things that you have to do to get that. Work towards your goal in little, bite sized increments.
Good advice here.

It’s the previous lies that get me. But that isn’t what this is about. Cloudy water usually means poor water quality. Even experienced keepers get lazy. Experience means nothing IMO. I’ve seen newer fish keepers take better care of their tanks and do better than experienced ones. And I have 30 years in the hobby. I’ll give kudos to those people because they care about doing the right thing.
Being impulsive and stuffing big fish in a small tank is wrong. At the end of the day the fish suffer. To me this tank is an example of animal hoarding and putting your wants before the needs of animals. As a fishkeeper who likes to see fish thrive, I can’t not voice my opinion.

A

AquaAlex1993

I like your enthusiasm man, reminds me of myself. Now go get your fish a bigger tank, I can't condone that 55 :p
Yes, I do have a lot of enthusiasm. I am Italian so can't help it.. But, I swear when I get mad that enthusiasm causes me to lose my **** lol. I am trying so hard to keep calm and cool.
Yes, I know that the 55 is small. But by the end of the year I am getting a bigger tank.
Maybe I should start a MFK fund for a bigger tank for me since everyone is rallying for me to get a bigger tank right away. I am waiting to find the perfect set up for me, I wish I could just go out and buy everything new but I don't have that money.

I am not a fan of criticism, I find it unnecessary and it no way helps me like it would other people, in fact I kind of find it insulting. But, it's the way it is said, if it is said rudely I just look past it.
I am currently working on getting a nice new tank and will have one by the end of the year.
Good advice here.

It’s the previous lies that get me. But that isn’t what this is about. Cloudy water usually means poor water quality. Even experienced keepers get lazy. Experience means nothing IMO. I’ve seen newer fish keepers take better care of their tanks and do better than experienced ones. And I have 30 years in the hobby. I’ll give kudos to those people because they care about doing the right thing.
Being impulsive and stuffing big fish in a small tank is wrong. At the end of the day the fish suffer. To me this tank is an example of animal hoarding and putting your wants before the needs of animals. As a fishkeeper who likes to see fish thrive, I can’t not voice my opinion.
Jesus Christ,
I don't know where to begin.
What is it with you people saying that the pics of my fish from the past are in cloudy water? And even the pics I take now? You need to think of elements too. One, my tank currently has no lights. 2nd it's in my bedroom that is lit by a strong LED light and it takes a while for it to shut off about 3 mins so when I turn it off and take pics the flash of the camera plus the light makes the pics look bad.
I know all about cloudy water. Cloudy water is from excessive feedings, dirty filters, algae,etc. All of which I don't have.The pictures below are of tanks with cloudy water.
Like I mentioned early, you can NOT simply tell the fish health just by looking at water.All of my fish get monitored daily by me. I am always looking out for signs of illness. Feeding them well. Let's just say the fish I have are in good hands. I take care of them. They could be in the hands of someone new to the hobby overfeeding them and not doing water changes.... but they are with me and I know what I am doing.
I like to see fish thrive as well. I think it is really unfair to say that my fish are suffering. I take the best care that I can for them.
Being impulsive and stuffing big fish in a small tank is wrong. At the end of the day the fish suffer. To me this tank is an example of animal hoarding and putting your wants before the needs of animals.
So basically what you are calling me is a fish whore. You are telling me that all I care about is what I want.... Dude, if you knew me personally like my family and friends do you would know how much I love my fish. I always buy food and filter pads and everything they need monthly. Like I said, I realize that my 55 gallon is too small, but it is only temporary. I am getting a larger aquarium soon, just waiting for the right one to come my way, I am extremely picky when it comes to buying aquariums due to me buying some from people who tried to get rid of the tank because it leaked then wouldn't give me my money back. Let's just say, I got my money back, they can't refuse to give money back when you show up to their doorstep.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Yea, no one has crystal clear water......haha, I'm pretty sure i would drink my water

Today's smartphone is going to take a better picture than any $500.00 or less "digital" camera, use the smartphone just learn how to take pictures. (unless its a 2005 flip phone)

I agree with previous posts, you stick your neck out there every time for people to swing at. There are numerous threads where you post the same bad pictures from the same bad tanks....plastic bag for a background and all. Upgrade the tank or dont, we really dont care. Just stop saying/lying about the tank you are going to upgrade too...If you cant afford to upgrade tanks, then make the tank you have the best you can and stock appropriately.

I would bet you do not have a 40 gallon breeder also.

IMG_6505.JPG

IMG_6511.JPG

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Hey brother, very nice old school collection. Love the festivum and Jack... 2 of my faves. Did they all get along in 1 tank? What tank size?

Brotip, the pics will be better if you don't use a flash. Make sure the fish is in focus, try lighting from above as well... You can go with a faster shutter speed with more available light. It also helps to eliminate all ambient lighting.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Bro, Petco has the Dollar a gallon sale ongoing right now. Up to 29 gallon. Then half off for tanks up to 75 gallon. So you can grab a 75 for like 90 bucks. So for 90 bucks you can have a total of 130 gallons of water. Put oscars and Jack in there for now until your 6 foot tank gets there.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Bro, Petco has the Dollar a gallon sale ongoing right now. Up to 29 gallon. Then half off for tanks up to 75 gallon. So you can grab a 75 for like 90 bucks. So for 90 bucks you can have a total of 130 gallons of water. Put oscars and Jack in there for now until your 6 foot tank gets there.
He says all those fish are from the past...No one really knows what his current stock is.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store