breathing slowly

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
Hey guy’s I have a problem and I would like some advice and opinions on it. I have a ray that is breathing slowly out of his Spiracles. They both open and close but it does not seem like they open all the way more just thin openings. I gave him a praizpro treatment of a week a while ago. He seems to eat fine and is active. Would you treat with praizpro again for a longer duration or is that a normal breathing rate?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I doubt breathing slowly is a problem. BUT before I would treat with anything I would want to rule out that Ammonia and Nitrite are at ZERO, Nitrate at 50ppm or less and check the PH and temperature. do not use dip strips and make sure the test kits are all in date. Most often when things go wrong with rays you get fast breathing and I cannot think of any gill or spiracle related illness that would lead to slow breathing.

Is the Ray eating well and moving around a lot? Sometimes mine breathes quickly and sometimes not.

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
I doubt breathing slowly is a problem. BUT before I would treat with anything I would want to rule out that Ammonia and Nitrite are at ZERO, Nitrate at 50ppm or less and check the PH and temperature. do not use dip strips and make sure the test kits are all in date. Most often when things go wrong with rays you get fast breathing and I cannot think of any gill or spiracle related illness that would lead to slow breathing.

Is the Ray eating well and moving around a lot? Sometimes mine breathes quickly and sometimes not.
Yes the Ray is eating well and really active moving around in the tank. I just felt his Spiracles are not opening wide enough. I did not think to check my levels. I will do that this evening, since I know I am behind on water changes due to being out of town.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
What's the temperature in the tank? My rays are sometime a bit more lethargic when temperature drops?

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
Also, I am planning on removing the sand as I feel it is to fine. He is always throwing it off, and it gets kicked up in the water column I feel it could be irritating him.

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
Tank size and filter type? Size of Ray?
150tall 48x24x30 with a fx6 and in-line 36 watt uv sterilizer. 1000gph pump aimed at surface for maximum surface agitation and a 930gph pump aimed across the tank to help push waste to the filter. At night the ray rides around up top in front of the 1000gph pump. I normally due a weekly 50% water change and check the filter pads and etc every two weeks. Except for me missing last week because I was out of town I have not did one yet. The Ray is about 7inch in diameter.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Post a video? I have a female that slows respiration when she's stressed. Her activity drops, her food consumption also. Could be a sign of stress, could just be "chillin"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store