Shoaling Fish or Ery tank

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Hello. I am looking for a group of shoaling fish to add with my red wolf. He/she is roughly 3". Any suggestions? Obviously I know there is a possibility of him taking them out. I was thinking maybe Buenos Aires tetras or Congo tetras. Tank is 55gal but fish will eventually go into my 125 gallon.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve had good success with medium sized barbs, black skirt tetras, and Congo tetras. At this size a good sized school can be added.

Just don’t feed live foods.

Reactions: tlindsey

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
How about Markiana nigripinnis, I wanted to do them. They've got some nice little teeth. Rapps has them lol

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Those are definitely interesting, will keep them in mind. I'm thinking I will try a group of more common fish to start just in case he decides to take one out. I'm a bit concerned with the way he takes food that he may try to grab another fish, lol. Very greedy fish!!!

I was also thinking a group of pictus cats or clown loaches. How did yours interact with bottom dwellers?

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Need blochii or something bigger. Hoplo catfish are a good option (armored and all).

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Need blochii or something bigger. Hoplo catfish are a good option (armored and all).
While I'd say jag is more territorial, but just to point out not to rule out small cats. My jags is about 4" and pushed my ery around who was 7" no problem. Granted it was sp Peru. But you follow me.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
While I'd say jag is more territorial, but just to point out not to rule out small cats. My jags is about 4" and pushed my ery around who was 7" no problem. Granted it was sp Peru. But you follow me.
I’d agree with that too. Was thinking another type of showing and active catfish.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I’d agree with that too. Was thinking another type of showing and active catfish.
Yea, for safety purposes he should do a cat that tops at a foot, but if it does can't be to aggressive ery aren't usually hard to put in place lol depending on the specimen though ofcourse. Sun cats aren't bad, blochii aren't, ornate pims. Wouldn't say Asian USD cat. Maybe nemurus.

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Thanks for all the help. At this point I'm thinking a group of pims or clown loaches for bottom dwellers. I'm still interested in a school of tetras of some sort but am floating around the idea of a group of acestros, which would rule out the possibility of any tetras in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store