Discus stress (possible parasite)

BeePike

Feeder Fish
Jun 3, 2017
Hey guys, I have one discus who is shedding scales due to stress and another who is pooping out white stuff that conserns me. Could it be a parasite? Would that also cause the shedding? The water chemistry is fine and I have no idea what else it could be. (Ph-6.5,gh&kh-4,temp 29 degrees).
Thanks.
15084751293482105515538.jpg 15084752010281938771108.jpg

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The water chemistry is fine and I have no idea what else it could be. (Ph-6.5,gh&kh-4,temp 29 degrees).
Sorry that you are seeing issues with your fish.

If you have a pH of 6.5 and a kH of 4, then you should post the actual ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Also you should post the pH of the water out of your tap or well.

Also, it will help if you post the following:

1) What recent diseases for those and other fish in that tank have you seen, especially if you had any recent deaths?

2) history of those fish (when did you get them)?

3) history of that tank. When was it set up? How long has it been fully cycled?

4) What medications have you already used if any?

5) Are you using test strips or liquid test kits? (Strips are notoriously inaccurate and while liquid kits are more reliable, it's important that they not be expired and that they are used precisely as instructed.)

The more accurate information you give, the faster and more accurate response you will likely get back.

BeePike

Feeder Fish
Jun 3, 2017
Ammonia was slightly up (less than 0.25) a couple of days ago but I've been doing water changes to keep it down. I thought that was the cause of the stress response until I saw the white poo. Not sure why it spiked as I still have a reading of 5 for nitrate. No nitrite. My tap water is about 7 but I add ph proper to keep it at 6.5.

No recent diseases, I've had the white discus for about a month and I don't think it had any problems in the fish shop. The blue one has been with me for a lot longer and I've never had any problems with it.

Had an aggressive discus that I removed from the tank when I got the white one and none of my other discus seem affected. I have 5 in total and keep them in with a vampire pleco and a fighting fish. Have had tetras in there in the past. This tank has been fully cycled for about 6 months now.

No medications used in the tank at all, I am treating for black beard at the moment though. Using 'No more black beard'. Also I use the liquid testing bottles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store