Tank too large for freight lift gate?

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Not to derail your thread but you mind giving specifics on the tank. Looks like you did an internal sump instead of having it outside the display tank. Curious on the logic and specs.
Sure.
This is a 240 gallon "Uniquarium" made by Clear for Life. The specs are 96"x24"x24", but technically the depth would be 20" of usable space, as the sump area is 4" deep. The display area is roughly 200 gallons of water, while the sump has the capacity to be 40 gallons if full, but would never be completely full.
The internal sump is a wet/dry with dual overflows that flow into a mechanical filtration chamber, one at each end of the tank, then flows out to each have their own respective drip trays and columns of bio-balls underneath. Each side eventually flows back to the middle of the sump where (3) RIO 2100 return pumps are located.

The logic behind this had a few reasons.
First, I have gone through a handful of large tanks over the years, I have had a full canister filtered tank, a tank with a fluidized external sump, combo setups, etc. I like trying new things and testing to see what works best for me, so when I came across this it was something I hadn't tried, but it seemed like a great idea. I don't keep what I consider "monster fish" anymore, so losing display area wasn't really a big deal to me. Unless the future stocking ideas drastically change, I won't have anything in this tank that is larger than 10" when fully grown, at least for the foreseeable future.

Second, I have always purchased used glass tanks in the past, my luck eventually ran out and I purchased a 210 gallon that lasted 5 months before a perfect looking seam failed. Luckily it wasn't a huge leak and was something I caught early on and was able to put fish in temporary housing and address the issue, which turned into selling the tank and calling it a day.
So when my wife and I moved into our newly built house in August, I wanted to minimize the risk of damaging flooring, walls, etc. with water. So, I decided I was only going to buy a brand new tank and I was only going to buy acrylic, because I was tired of moving heavy glass tanks. Plus, with the sump being inside the tank, it reduces the risk of an external factor causing a failure. Power outages? Not a big deal on this tank, because the water isn't leaving the tank, so power goes out, the tank drains into the sump until it can't anymore and that's that. No reverse suction issues, etc. Plumbing failures? Nope, because there is no plumbing. Pump failures? Not really, if all 3 pumps happen to fail at the same time it'll be just like a power outage, the tank will drain until it can't anymore.
Granted, most of these are easily minimized on a typical display + sump system, but I didn't want to minimize them, I wanted to eliminate them.

Last, but certainly not least. COST.
I got a fantastic deal on this tank. This tank is basically a turn key system, all I have to do is move my heaters and some existing media over to seed and this tank is ready to run as a full system. Something I noticed on my fluidized sump system, was that cost builds QUICKLY, especially if you haven't established a plan and budget before you begin. The more frustrated you become with the setup, the more money you are willing to spend to sort it out. With this setup I was able to have everything bundled into the cost with the filtration already done, for less than a standard 96x24x24 acrylic tank and all I sacrificed was 4" of depth, so it just made sense. My only concern is the use of RIO Pumps, which seem to have a hit and miss success rate. If they begin to fail, I will replace with a better product. I am huge Fluval fan and have always had a great experience with their products, so I would more than likely replace with the 3 rios with 2 Fluval SP2s.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Sure.
This is a 240 gallon "Uniquarium" made by Clear for Life. The specs are 96"x24"x24", but technically the depth would be 20" of usable space, as the sump area is 4" deep. The display area is roughly 200 gallons of water, while the sump has the capacity to be 40 gallons if full, but would never be completely full.
The internal sump is a wet/dry with dual overflows that flow into a mechanical filtration chamber, one at each end of the tank, then flows out to each have their own respective drip trays and columns of bio-balls underneath. Each side eventually flows back to the middle of the sump where (3) RIO 2100 return pumps are located.

The logic behind this had a few reasons.
First, I have gone through a handful of large tanks over the years, I have had a full canister filtered tank, a tank with a fluidized external sump, combo setups, etc. I like trying new things and testing to see what works best for me, so when I came across this it was something I hadn't tried, but it seemed like a great idea. I don't keep what I consider "monster fish" anymore, so losing display area wasn't really a big deal to me. Unless the future stocking ideas drastically change, I won't have anything in this tank that is larger than 10" when fully grown, at least for the foreseeable future.

Second, I have always purchased used glass tanks in the past, my luck eventually ran out and I purchased a 210 gallon that lasted 5 months before a perfect looking seam failed. Luckily it wasn't a huge leak and was something I caught early on and was able to put fish in temporary housing and address the issue, which turned into selling the tank and calling it a day.
So when my wife and I moved into our newly built house in August, I wanted to minimize the risk of damaging flooring, walls, etc. with water. So, I decided I was only going to buy a brand new tank and I was only going to buy acrylic, because I was tired of moving heavy glass tanks. Plus, with the sump being inside the tank, it reduces the risk of an external factor causing a failure. Power outages? Not a big deal on this tank, because the water isn't leaving the tank, so power goes out, the tank drains into the sump until it can't anymore and that's that. No reverse suction issues, etc. Plumbing failures? Nope, because there is no plumbing. Pump failures? Not really, if all 3 pumps happen to fail at the same time it'll be just like a power outage, the tank will drain until it can't anymore.
Granted, most of these are easily minimized on a typical display + sump system, but I didn't want to minimize them, I wanted to eliminate them.

Last, but certainly not least. COST.
I got a fantastic deal on this tank. This tank is basically a turn key system, all I have to do is move my heaters and some existing media over to seed and this tank is ready to run as a full system. Something I noticed on my fluidized sump system, was that cost builds QUICKLY, especially if you haven't established a plan and budget before you begin. The more frustrated you become with the setup, the more money you are willing to spend to sort it out. With this setup I was able to have everything bundled into the cost with the filtration already done, for less than a standard 96x24x24 acrylic tank and all I sacrificed was 4" of depth, so it just made sense. My only concern is the use of RIO Pumps, which seem to have a hit and miss success rate. If they begin to fail, I will replace with a better product. I am huge Fluval fan and have always had a great experience with their products, so I would more than likely replace with the 3 rios with 2 Fluval SP2s.
Your Rio 2100's are about equivalent to my Rio 20HF's that I started my setup with. Long story short, they were so noisy that I replaced them with some Jebao DCP 8000's that I only run at 55-60%. The Jebao pumps also use only about half the wattage to pump the same amount of water. I will say, the RIO's are pretty good little work horses, but they use a lot more power than a DC pump, and are just noisy. I'm just trying to give you my first-hand experience because I really think that the noise will bother you and it looks as if they are in a spot that will not be easy to get to once the tank is installed.

I really do like the setup though. Like you described, you have a very safe design with a near zero chance of leaking.

Reactions: monkeybike

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Your Rio 2100's are about equivalent to my Rio 20HF's that I started my setup with. Long story short, they were so noisy that I replaced them with some Jebao DCP 8000's that I only run at 55-60%. The Jebao pumps also use only about half the wattage to pump the same amount of water. I will say, the RIO's are pretty good little work horses, but they use a lot more power than a DC pump, and are just noisy. I'm just trying to give you my first-hand experience because I really think that the noise will bother you and it looks as if they are in a spot that will not be easy to get to once the tank is installed.

I really do like the setup though. Like you described, you have a very safe design with a near zero chance of leaking.
You're right, swapping pumps after this is close to the wall would be quite painful. Definitely worth it to spend the money now to not headache later. The RIO 2100s look like they are 37 watt, so if I swap 3 2100s for 2 DCP 8000s, it'd almost level out in wattage use, but would have way more potential flow if needed.
With the DCP 8000, is the watt usage based on flow amount or is it 65 watt draw regardless of flow?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You're right, swapping pumps after this is close to the wall would be quite painful. Definitely worth it to spend the money now to not headache later. The RIO 2100s look like they are 37 watt, so if I swap 3 2100s for 2 DCP 8000s, it'd almost level out in wattage use, but would have way more potential flow if needed.
With the DCP 8000, is the watt usage based on flow amount or is it 65 watt draw regardless of flow?
They have an adjustable controller that comes with them. When you turn them down, they use less power. Here are the controllers for my two:

IMG_2094.JPG

They are adjustable from 30% to 100% by 1% increments, so they have amazing adjustability.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
just wish those pumps had wifi/scheduled online control or speed adjust would be nice.
You can definitely get pumps that do have those features, but your going to pay quite a bit more for them. I like the Jebao pumps because they're cheap, but work well. They are also extremely quiet. I can't hear mine at all while standing right next to the tank. I'm pretty sure you can get a Jebao DCP 8000 for around $100.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
You can definitely get pumps that do have those features, but your going to pay quite a bit more for them. I like the Jebao pumps because they're cheap, but work well. They are also extremely quiet. I can't hear mine at all while standing right next to the tank. I'm pretty sure you can get a Jebao DCP 8000 for around $100.
No doubt. I've looked at others, the price jump is nuts, and I'm not Joey, I don't have extra cash to pay 3x the price.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Got word today that the replacement tank shipped. It was exactly 1 month after it shipped the last time. So, I imagine it will be here around late October for delivery, maybe early November.
I did notice on the old shipment, the delivery weight was 370lbs, the new delivery weight is 290lbs. I was hoping the new one would weigh more with the assumption they added some extra packaging. Wondering if it is a typo or if I am going to get the wrong tank this time, instead of a damaged tank.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Sounds like you my friend are cursed :D could email them an check? but probably just a different weight method, or they just guess/average for something that big

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Sounds like you my friend are cursed :D could email them an check? but probably just a different weight method, or they just guess/average for something that big
Tell me about it, feels like I am cursed! If this one shows up damaged or is the wrong tank, I am going to have to have a serious talk with these people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store