12x8x8

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm guessing a type of larger crayfish. Shrimp side has been quiet for me, I've got a source for some PRL's and Taiwan bee's but to be honest I haven't been that motivated for the hobby recently, so I'm yet to pull the trigger.

Trying to get some clown killifish breeding just now
I'd like to see more of your shrimp, especially if you keep some more exotic species. I don't have the space to keep another tank, so shrimp are only an option if they do well in my 16.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I'm guessing a type of larger crayfish. Shrimp side has been quiet for me, I've got a source for some PRL's and Taiwan bee's but to be honest I haven't been that motivated for the hobby recently, so I'm yet to pull the trigger.

Trying to get some clown killifish breeding just now
You really need to post pictures/videos of that killie tank. (some pics of your other tanks would be nice, too.)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
You really need to post pictures/videos of that killie tank. (some pics of your other tanks would be nice, too.)
Here are the two killi tanks, I'm thinking of focusing just on the clowns breeding for now; quite challenging! :) Clowns and gardneri pics below too.

In regards to the shrimp, I've got general grade reds set up with some endlers, but my real trial and failure has been with CBS, I just couldn't for the life of me to get my current batch going; so I've contacted a new supplier with purer lines that will maybe yield a little better results. In the meantime, I moved the current batch of 5/6 to a holding 1.5g.

I actually miss my planted long tank, 43x11x11, watch this space lol

IMG_20171010_001547.jpg

IMG_20171010_225529.jpg
IMG_20171010_004050.jpg

received_10153985938445944.jpeg

IMG_20170817_232129.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
So cool! That fire Shrimp is stunning holy smokes! At least that's what I think it is haha

My small tank has been downgraded for now, have a different one set up ;)

1508612270040919725638.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Supposed to be painted reds, but I've not done a good job culling so it's mixed lol; what's your set up?
Apparently culling isn't super effective, just breed as many as possible haha

Pygmy gouramis ;)

Group of 6 at the shop, had to have them...

Reactions: convict360

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Aegla Updates ~

After buying the Aeglas, I received a larger one, with two large, equally sized claws, and a smaller one, with medium claw and a slightly smaller claw. Excluding the short period of time after acclimation when I was able to watch them wander into the plants, I haven't seen the smaller Aegla, only the larger one. All of my Aegla photos are actually of just the larger one, because it has been much more "active". Considering that I hadn't seen the other Aegla even once since acclimating it, I had the suspicion that it had passed, but I never wanted to admit it.

When I checked on Gary a few minutes ago (something I do 3-4 times after the lights turn off, just because I like watching him), I discovered Invert Fest 2017. I must have missed the invitation. The large Aegla, lonesome CRS, both Nerites, 1/4 of the Ramshorns, and, thankfully, the smaller Aegla were all out of hiding. I was relieved to know that the smaller Aegla had just avoided daylight for a month and wasn't dead.

I was surprised to see that the smaller, less "active" Aegla was completely out of hiding, and was resting on the Monte Carlo. The larger, more active Aegla was actually the one hiding this time, in his usual spot; wedged between the right side of the tank and the Monte Carlo.

Note - The reason I say "active" and "hiding" are relative is because for Aegla, "hiding" is avoiding contact with any non-photosynthetic organisms and light for a month, not just swimming in couple stems of Rotala (like shy tetras might do). Being "active" usually means being visible from at least one angle (but usually no more than 3), or at least this is what it means in my experience. The "active" Aegla usually stays wedged between the Monte Carlo and the right side of the tank, and once in the same position but at the back of the tank. In my experience, this is active, as the Aegla usually hides here, but since it doesn't move often, it's visible for most of the day.

Onto the (more) exciting news ~

A couple days ago the larger Aegla molted. This will be the first documentation of Aeglas molting with pictures. The Aegla became less "active" than usual (an almost impossible task), allowing snails to crawl on it, acting as if it just stopped caring. It had also become somewhat pink in color, rather than the usually deep brown. It's easy to see the color difference when comparing the before and after photos.

I don't have pictures of the Aegla molting, but I do have before and after pics, and pics of the molt, the most anyone has so far.

Pictures from tonight, during Invert Fest 2017:
Big Aegla; he did a full half turn for me, so he got a cube of blood worms for that trick:
View attachment 1279417 View attachment 1279418

The lonesome CRS, although I plan to get some friends for him soon:
View attachment 1279419

And small Aegla:
View attachment 1279420

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Probably what everyone is most anxious for; molting pics:

Before molting, notice the pinkish tint, almost rust-like:
View attachment 1279421 View attachment 1279422

After molting, notice how the Aegla has the normal, deep brown coloration:
View attachment 1279423 View attachment 1279424 View attachment 1279425

And the molt itself:
View attachment 1279426 View attachment 1279427
Aegla back out of the shell from the tail, which leaves almost no damage to the molt, so the only way to tell the difference between the Aegla and the molt is the color. Otherwise they look identical.
I just threw an algae wafer in the tank, and the smaller Aegla came out to eat it. The part I found interesting was how it got to the wafer.

It tore it self out from the plants in the back of the tank, basically shoving the plants to the side and dragging itself through because it was in such a hurry. After that, it untangled its right legs from the thread algae with its claws (something I didn't know they were smart enough to do). Although the Aegla didn't cut the thread algae, it actually untangled its legs without tearing up the thread algae. I found it interesting how patient and meticulous it was when untangling itself. I'll try to post a few videos later.
View attachment 1279456 View attachment 1279457 View attachment 1279458
Gosh these guys are awesome! Can you keep the shells they've shed?

I swear the more I learn about freshwater inverts the more I want to pack up and leave this stupid island. Don't get me wrong, I love it in Tassie but damn the restrictions on freshwater inverts are really starting to annoy me...

Reactions: convict360

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd put plenty more plant cover in, especially near/on the surface. Just my 0.02
They aren't in that tank, I've given them a more planted tank. I'm not having luck with frogbit but I'm trying a bit in there :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Gosh these guys are awesome! Can you keep the shells they've shed?

I swear the more I learn about freshwater inverts the more I want to pack up and leave this stupid island. Don't get me wrong, I love it in Tassie but damn the restrictions on freshwater inverts are really starting to annoy me...
If only you asked sooner... I left the molt in the tank to recycle the calcium and other minerals in it. The snails had it decomposed within a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store