Plywood build question

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
Hey guys,

So I managed to snag a 125 gal tank with a crack in the back panel for $50 USD. It's in great condition aside from the crack. My original plan was to use the front and side panels for a plywood tank I was building but looking at it made me curious...

Would it be reasonable to remove the broken back panel and replace it with plywood? Obviously after pond armor has been applied. Would I be able to simply silicone the glass to the new panel? Or do you think I would be better off simply building the plywood tank I planned on originally?

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
You would need to add some extra bracing somewhere to hold it in place I would think. It would be fun to tinker with and try. Just depends how much you value the glass. Is the $50 in glass worth trying something that may end up being trashed?
Earlier this week I actually decided to see if it'd be feasible to seal the glass and then brace it from the inside and out with coated plywood. Once I'm done and I see how it holds I'll make a thread for the "build"! Thank you for your input though!

Reactions: TexasMFK31

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I will be looking forward to your results! I keep seeing tanks for sale in my area with 1 panel bad. If I could do a fun plywood fix I would probably buy one or 5 of them.
I'll definitely let you know how well it works. Honestly as long as the weight is distributed away from the crack and everything is sealed well it should work but hey, I guess I won't know until I try.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
It would likely be easier to build a tank, but if you went the route you're thinking, after costs, epoxy time etc, replacing it with glass would likely be cheaper.

Usually people go glass to plywood to make the tanks bigger :)

Reactions: Capt_Rick_Dixie

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
It would likely be easier to build a tank, but if you went the route you're thinking, after costs, epoxy time etc, replacing it with glass would likely be cheaper.

I've got a little over $100 USD in the repair for costs of silicone, flex seal, and plywood. I got a quote from a local glass company for a 72" panel that's .5" thick that was well over that price so if it works it works if it doesn't I'll just use the front and side panels for a plywood build

Usually people go glass to plywood to make the tanks bigger :)
My thought would be that if I could repair this tank it'd be a decent grow out tank for some of my smaller rays until I could put them in the bigger system. I guess we'll see if it works though :confused:

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
For those of you interested I've had the tank up and running for two weeks or so now, everything is looking great. Had a small leak on the acrylic I used to seal the holes drilled on the bottom for plumbing. Next Friday my ray comes in and after the little guys qt I'll post a whole thread with pictures of the process and the setup!

Here's a pic to show ya how it's looking!

20171102_183428_001.jpg

Reactions: TexasMFK31
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store