"Common" CB Senegals vs Nigerian wild caught. Diff Sp?

Could there be a different subspecies at play here?

• I think so

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No ways

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Guys I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here, but I think the generic mass bred Sp Senegalus are a different subspecies to those caught in Nigeria. I'm seriously wondering here, the physiological differences are too big to just pass up. I have spoken to the professor who works in genetics and he says such major physiological differences are a big indicator that they could be seperate, especially since wild caught sens are rare and I don't think many people know exactly where they came from which throws it off further.

The main thing throwing me off is the tail shape, it's quite different and every captive bred specimen has this pointed tail type as shown:
SenCBtail.png
In April:
upload_2017-10-20_16-58-29.png

My wild caught fish on the other hand has a very rounded tail, it was slightly tattered as shown here
upload_2017-10-20_17-0-16.png

Now 6 months later looks like so:
upload_2017-10-20_17-1-25.png

I find this far too obvious to just leave be. This is the obvious part for me.

The professor is also skeptical about the captive bred head shape, I'm thinking that the original broodstock must have had shorter mouths. Especially with the shorter timespan these fish have been kept in the hobby and the long maturation times and a lack of scientific proof it's hard to say what it is exactly causing the short heads. This is something I still have doubts about, and is another blaringly obvious difference between the two.

What do you guys think? Could P. senegalus sp "Nigeria" be a thing?

Notes: I'm still trying to find the exact catch location of my poly, but I know it's from Nigeria. Also if we raise funds we could always have a genetic analysis done :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I am far from expert in all of this but in my mind you just have a WC Sen with a known catch location.

CB Endlis can have totally different head shapes than WC. And a Faranah Endli isn't a new species... it's just a WC Endli with known catch location.

I guess I'm not totally following you. The CB Sens are so overbred of course they're going to look different....

Reactions: jaws7777 and Hendre

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe Hao Hao can she’d some light or an opinion.

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
The Senegalus is easily the most widespread Polypterid, and there are probably a great variety of distinct, and old colonies, so while they all seem superficially similar, it's quite possible, and likely even, that there's a wide array of subspecies.

It would be very interesting to do an actual survey on the matter, to travel through Africa and sample P. Senegalus specimen throughout their native range. Might even be something of a dream job.

As for the specific blunt nose characteristic, I've read several places that it's a result of inbreeding and degenerating stock. Remember that in captive situations, less than optimal offspring is allowed to survive, to be sold off and potentially be used as breeding stock by somebody else.

That one in the second pictures has some beautiful patterns by the way, never seen that in a Senegal before.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im a no.

All of the cb polys differ in some way from there wc counterparts.
The differences your seeing are found in all if the cb's we keep. Wc vs cb endlicheri differences have been widely discussed. Burbotman Burbotman just touched on the headshape difference between cb and wc congicus.
Same goes for dels, koliba, and ornates

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Im a no.

All of the cb polys differ in some way from there wc counterparts.
The differences your seeing are found in all if the cb's we keep. Wc vs cb endlicheri differences have been widely discussed. Burbotman Burbotman just touched on the headshape difference between cb and wc congicus.
Same goes for dels, koliba, and ornates
As stated earlier, P. Senegalus is established over vast distances in Africa, and likely has been for thousands of years. As it is quite impossible for the entire P. Senegalus population to interact with each other, you end up with separate colonies, or populations if you will, that evolve independently of each other. This is perhaps the most common way in which evolution produce new species. In short, simple logic tells us that there must be several subspecies of P. Senegalus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store