Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
So my current fresh water setup:
550L (5 x 2 x2) oddball/SA cichlids
External canister
2 x strips of LED's

Went to a public aquarium a few weeks ago....and lets say I am tempted to switch over to marine.

Am on a bit of a tight budget.
So was thinking of fish only. And as funds become available ( and if I want to) adjusting my equipment for corals.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject

Any advice most welcome
Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Fish only tank is easy like freshwater, it's just now you will deal with salt in water. Also, QT is a must for saltwater species (no exception) and it's very LONG QT time up to 8 weeks and the famous phase for saltwater is "Nothing good coming too fast in this hobby" and the bad stuff usually come and hit you overnight :)

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Saltwater fish only is not difficult like Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa srated only advice I have is do thorough research and take your time make sure aquarium completes cycle.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Well, I did not mean it hard, I meant its the patience to success in saltwater world.
If you looking/checking any saltwater focus forum you will see hundred of pages that folks asking for help with problems. Some folks will give up after few months due to problem getting out of hand, out of control and it become a chore job and no longer a enjoying hobby.

Reactions: tlindsey

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Thanks for the input.

I was thinking of possibly a lionfish
Not sure about stocking levels for a tank my size.
That's part of the research that I need to do.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I recently started a 15l nano reef, which the internet assured me would be an endless source of problems. Fast forward a few months, and it hasn't posed a challenge in any way shape or form...now, it could be argued its easy corals, easy inverts etc; but the more I learn about marine, the more my opinion moves towards the inherent difficulty associated with it, being nonsense.

Hardest tanks I've kept have been planted, and now that I've dipped into the marine; i'll probably just stick to freshwater

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I recently started a 15l nano reef, which the internet assured me would be an endless source of problems. Fast forward a few months, and it hasn't posed a challenge in any way shape or form...now, it could be argued its easy corals, easy inverts etc; but the more I learn about marine, the more my opinion moves towards the inherent difficulty associated with it, being nonsense.

Hardest tanks I've kept have been planted, and now that I've dipped into the marine; i'll probably just stick to freshwater
hahaha I'm glad you have a successful time with marine world, it's easy if you are done it correctly, we already have an example of a member here gave up the saltwater world after few months, spend more than thousand bucks into the saltwater world. :) (you can find his post in this forum)

Reactions: convict360

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
So have been doing a bit of research.
At this stage I am thinking of going with a FOWLR setup. Once I gain more experience, may switch over to a full reef, but not at the beginning stage.

Re stocking.
I was thinking of a Lionfish and maybe one of the smaller Morays.
would that work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store