What Cichlid would you recommend for my tank?

vind7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2017
Germany
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking to add a pair or small group of cichlids to my tank.
It has to do well with the other species living in there and should not cause too much damage to plants. My tank isn't heavily planted but apart from a few Anubias I also have some Vallisnerias which I'd prefer not to be eaten or constantly dug out.
Size of the tank is 180x40x40cm and so far only houses two rope fish, one Pantodon buchholzi and 3 senegal bichirs.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because there are about several thousand species of cichlids in the world, you may want to be a little more specific, about your idea.
Do you have a preference as to what continent it comes from?
You have what we in the US call a 50gallon tank, which limits you choices at bit.
The personal rule I use for that size tank, would be nothing over 5" as an adult.
But still you might have 1000 choices.
What type water comes from your tap, hard or soft?
If you wanted a Central American cichlid, Crytoheros nanoluteus, or a few others of the genus, would fit the bill, if you have hard water

or C myrnae

If you wanted a cichlid from India, Etroplus canarensus could work

any of the South American dwarfs would work, especially if your water is softer and less alkaline.
Same for many African dwarf cichlids.
Rift lake species would prefer hard water, but many would be hard on plants.
So some specifics about your water, and where the cichlid comes from, if that is a preference may narrow the field a bit, and allow for some educated answers, as opposed ....I like this, or that replies, but don't relevance to what may be right for your tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Cichlids might not be the greatest choice to keep with the African butterfly fish, as they may nip at his fins and trailers. Dwarf cichlids probably wouldn't, but they would be at risk of being eaten by your bichirs. I might recommend larger gourami species like blue or gold, instead?

Reactions: Drstrangelove

vind7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2017
Germany
Because there are about several thousand species of cichlids in the world, you may want to be a little more specific, about your idea.
Do you have a preference as to what continent it comes from?
You have what we in the US call a 50gallon tank, which limits you choices at bit.
The personal rule I use for that size tank, would be nothing over 5" as an adult.
But still you might have 1000 choices.
What type water comes from your tap, hard or soft?
If you wanted a Central American cichlid, Crytoheros nanoluteus, or a few others of the genus, would fit the bill, if you have hard water

or C myrnae

If you wanted a cichlid from India, Etroplus canarensus could work

any of the South American dwarfs would work, especially if your water is softer and less alkaline.
Same for many African dwarf cichlids.
Rift lake species would prefer hard water, but many would be hard on plants.
So some specifics about your water, and where the cichlid comes from, if that is a preference may narrow the field a bit, and allow for some educated answers, as opposed ....I like this, or that replies, but don't relevance to what may be right for your tank.
I'm open for anything, I wouldn't mind adding an Asian/South-/Central American species to my mainly African tank.
My tap water is about 11°e (hope thats the scale you use in America, lol) and is more on the neutral side.
Dwarf cichlids would be nice as they aren't known to be overly aggressive nor damage plants but I can't think of any, American or African, that would not end up as lunch for my bichirs eventually.
I'm liking the Cryptoheros though from what I found online they don't appear to be commonly kept or available in Germany.
Maybe the fact that I'm not really into overly colorful fish may help narrow down the list a little? Wouldn't mind some brownish colored Cichlids.

Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
I was thinking of Gouramis as well, though I am not sure if they would do well with the butterfly fish as they both tend to hang out at or near the surface.

vind7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2017
Germany
Actually I found some specific species that is available here and appeals to me. It's Cryptoheros spilurus. Do they fit the requirements?
I'm also kinda liking Aequidens pulcher, would that one work?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Both of the ones you mention could work in that size tank. The scars may slightly outgrow it it, but most do well in that size tank, and are not too hard on plants, especially some as tough as anubias, and fast growing vallisneria.
I have kept many cichlids with those plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store