New from COA

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I got these guys yesterday from Dan at Cichlids of the Americas. 4 dovii, 4 la ceiba, and 4 lyonsi. Hopefully once they settle in a little better I can get some better shots. Right now I am still trying to get them to eat nls or hikari, but they are not very keen on it.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Day 2. All these guys are settling in pretty well. Dovii and la ceiba are with the nls program, but the lyonsi are being a little more stubborn and holding out for blood worms. I emailed Dan to find out what he was feeding, but have not heard back yet. Of course the dovii are already sparring for dominance even at maybe 3" in my 210. The lyonsi in the following pictures has already won tank boss status, and the la ceiba are pretty chill so far. I'd love to get pairs from the lyonsi and la ceiba, but a bit iffy on a dovii pair. Guess I will just have to see how it goes.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I'm glad to see you've got another dovii .. or 4. COA looks pretty good based on those 12 fish. Keep the updates coming!
After I lost Morgoth, I found my interest dwindling so I finally decided to go back with a dovii. I think he was a Nicaraguan and COA advertises theirs as "
Nicaraguan dovii as blue as they get!", while TUIC has Costa x Nic dovii in stock. In hopes of getting a carbon copy I went with COA, but only time will tell. It is a long road from 3" to 14" and **** happens. It may be time to think about finishing the plywood and setting up the 250. I will probably start a seperate thread for the different species to share the progress and/or set backs over time.

My old fish.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Aweseom pick up man, good choices all around. I had a Lyonsi from CoA that I was growing out before sadly losing him to parasites. He was turning out to have great coloration so I am sure yours will too! Hope you have better luck with them.
Here's a shot of mine

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Aweseom pick up man, good choices all around. I had a Lyonsi from CoA that I was growing out before sadly losing him to parasites. He was turning out to have great coloration so I am sure yours will too! Hope you have better luck with them.
Here's a shot of mine
Man sorry you lost that fish, it definitely had some nice coloration. What type of parasites caused the problem. Mine are refusing nls, but eating blood worms at the moment. Their feces looks normal and they are very active. I am going to soak some pellets in boyds today and see if that makes a difference, and then hopefully give them a few days of food soaked in 3% magnesium sulfate.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Man sorry you lost that fish, it definitely had some nice coloration. What type of parasites caused the problem. Mine are refusing nls, but eating blood worms at the moment. Their feces looks normal and they are very active. I am going to soak some pellets in boyds today and see if that makes a difference, and then hopefully give them a few days of food soaked in 3% magnesium sulfate.
I believed mine had hexamita/spiro, he had white stringy feces and lost his appetite completely after a short while. I tried treating with Epsom salt soaked food first, then when he stopped eating I began injecting Epsom salts down his throat with a pipette. This did not prove effective for me in this case. I also tried metronidazole as a last ditch effort but I think he was too far gone at that point, and it didn't work.
I don't think my fish came from CoA with the parasites, as I got him at 3" and grew him to 6", which is when he got sick. I bought some ameca splendens which I believe had the hex, and he ate one of them. I treated the rest of the ameca's with Epsom salt soaked food which did cure them. Not sure why it didn't work for the lyonsi.

While I had him, he was really an awesome fish. Underrated in my opinion. Typical amphilophus behavior in a prettier (in my opinion) package. I think you will really enjoy these guys

Reactions: robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
They are so cute when they are small
Funny thing is, the lyonsi were supposed to be smaller. I ordered 2-2.5" fish, and these are probably 3-4". Not that I am complaining.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
These two seemed to have already paired off, and I believe she is gravid. I guess it's time for a divider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store