Check this Out,

A

AquaAlex1993

Just seen this on my Facebook page from my LFS, what do you guys think? I don't care for the barbs/tetras/danios but sharks I do like. although they will probably be 20 dollars a shark. I bet angelfish and convicts are next. I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow did discus.

sharks.jpg

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Ugh can you imagine the horror of how tacky a full tank of danios barbs and sharks with the special gravel and light? Gag me with a recently fired bullet in the roof of my mouth! Almost as bad as fake coral. Next will be Cories. Just stop, please stop!

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Ok, if they do make Cories, I vow to do a complete 55 setup with danios, barbs, tetras, sharks, and Cories with the glow coral and plants and gravel and background and post pics so everyone on MFK will see the horror in all its Majesty. I promise your eyes will bleed, we’re talking sackcloth and ashes, self flagellation the whole thing.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I'd be curious to see studies of how long the GloFish actually survive. I have always thought this was a terrible thing to do, but the science side wants to know how much it affects them.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
My grandmother has a small community tank, and she bought one of the pink tetras. It must be atleast two years old now, and still going strong. And still pink as hell lol

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
It's being advertised like it's a product. I wouldn't go with anything with the prefix "glo" before it, for the sake of the fish. Go with normal sharks if you're gonna go with sharks at all.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Look at the pretty fish mommy....can I have one?

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
The only possible upside I see to glo-fish is that it may attract younger people to the hobby who eventually (hopefully) migrate to more "normal" fish. That's the case with my younger cousin who started off with a few glo-white skirt tetras and your generic aquarium decor. He switched to a plant substrate a few months later and is going for a more natural look now. Even though glo-fish didn't exist back when I entered the hobby, I remember going through the clown-puke gravel phase because of the neon colors..

That said, I find the black/red contrast of the regular rainbow shark more striking than "galactic purple" and "sunburst orange".

Reactions: tarheel96
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store