Pear and Marble M. Questions

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
I haven't posted any pics or videos lately. Those fish are filling that tank up pretty quickly. The last pics I posted were months ago, and everybody has grown a bunch. All those fish are young fish...less than 2 years old. That will give you a time line. I think long term when it comes to rays and aros...ray live 20+ years and get massive. Aros live 50+ years and get insanely huge. I know of one in captivity over 50"!!!
I look forward to seeing those pics in the future then!

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
24" is definitely way to narrow for rays. 36" would be minimum. An adult female will have a 30"+ length with tail.
So after looking at your build, and researching a bit, I think I would do 1 of the following 2:

Material = Plywood w/ Glass
Tank Height = 24"
Tank Width = 36"
Tank Length = 72 "
Plywood w/ Glass Thickness = 3/4"
Approximate Gallons = 269

or

Tank Information:
Material = Plywood w/ Glass
Tank Height = 24"
Tank Width = 36"
Tank Length = 60 "
Plywood w/ Glass Thickness = 3/4"
Approximate Gallons = 224

Since the house is still under construction, and I have the measurements of the office but haven't really seen it. I'm just not sure if 1 brace will be enough for this.

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
Seriously mate don’t go to all that trouble to build a 60” tank. Keeping rays is so addictive and once you’re hooked on them you’re always thinking of a bigger tank. I started with a 60” because it was the biggest I could fit in my room at the time. Bought a pearl and after less than 12 months i was knocking a wall down in my house so I could build a 96”x36” into it.... this has been running for about 6 months now and I’m already thinking how I can go bigger!! Make your tank as big as absolutely possible because they cost a lot of money and if you don’t you’ll just end up building another!

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Seriously mate don’t go to all that trouble to build a 60” tank. Keeping rays is so addictive and once you’re hooked on them you’re always thinking of a bigger tank. I started with a 60” because it was the biggest I could fit in my room at the time. Bought a pearl and after less than 12 months i was knocking a wall down in my house so I could build a 96”x36” into it.... this has been running for about 6 months now and I’m already thinking how I can go bigger!! Make your tank as big as absolutely possible because they cost a lot of money and if you don’t you’ll just end up building another!
Thanks ray I think youre right. How many rays/fish did you have in the 60" and how many you have now in the 96?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
If 72" is as big as you can go, do that. Bigger is definitely better. Try to go as wide as possible too. 36" is great, but if you can go a little wider it would be even better. For your glass and plywood thickness you will only need 1/2" glass for a 24" tall tank. 3/4" hardwood plywood is what you need for the tank itself. Be sure to use strips of plywood screwed to the back of the tank to prevent any bowing. For 72" I'd use at least 2 top braces.

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
I originally had it as a discus tank with a group of big discus, then fell in love with stingrays but only had one male pearl. When he got to about 10” disc I upgraded and added a 5” bd. They’ve got plenty of room at the minute and still got 7 big discus in there but looking for a couple of female pearls to add in. Although I’m well aware that when they’re all adults I’ll need to go bigger... probably convert garage into I fish room and Build a couple of big plywood tanks.

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
I originally had it as a discus tank with a group of big discus, then fell in love with stingrays but only had one male pearl. When he got to about 10” disc I upgraded and added a 5” bd. They’ve got plenty of room at the minute and still got 7 big discus in there but looking for a couple of female pearls to add in. Although I’m well aware that when they’re all adults I’ll need to go bigger... probably convert garage into I fish room and Build a couple of big plywood tanks.
Nice! Everyone around here has a similar story where they were keeping a different fish then fell in love with rays and starting building big tanks! Now I'm here feeling weird cause I want to start big and with rays.

Would you have a pic/thread of your tank? would I was thinking about keeping discus with rays but then I figured I'd do a big tank with big fish and keep the discuss in the living room in a 65-90G tank.

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
When you say your wanting to start with rays. Have you kept fish before? Rays aren’t the easiest fish to start with... not saying you can’t but make sure you learn a lot about keeping them first and be prepared that they are going to take up an awful lot of your time. Doing big water changes every week and maintenance on a ‘big’ tank is very time consuming.

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
As for my tank, not got any posts but I’ll try and get a good pic for you when lights come on... I had a love for discus and because I had already had them I kept them in there to see how they get on. There are a lot of people on here who wouldn’t advise keeping discus with rays though. My discus are big n my rays are small (at the moment). They’re doing great together right now but I don’t know how long it will last.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store