What IS a BD?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Are you aware that animals of the same species can have different appearances? Are you aware that although they are the same species they can be differentiated from each other? If you are aware please apply what you know to this situation and figure it out for yourself
Nope..... I'm too stupid to understand. Like I said.... You want to educate me do it.

You have missed the point of thios thread by so much it's now become commical.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Nope..... I'm too stupid to understand. Like I said.... You want to educate me do it.

You have missed the point of thios thread by so much it's now become commical.
I really have not. You bumped it to show what USED to be used to identify a black diamond ray. Times have changed drastically and the original "guide" although correct could be deemed outdated on today's standards. No one is arguing the initial traits that distinguished black diamonds. Merely arguing that those initial traits are no longer the traits that are used to deem a fish a black diamond. Hence the hobbyist and seller have to adjust for the change. It's surely an incorrect practice to mislabel but it's not really mislabelling if the standards have changed.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
lmao....... The standards changed?

NO, they haven't. It's now become common practice to label your rays whatever it takes to sell them. They KNOW what the hell the rays are..... THEY BREED THEM. I think what you meant to say was people have officially accepted the "BD" LIE. Standards didn't change, people just bought into the BS.

This is about breeders lying, NOT about hobbyists being confused. Hobbyists are hobbyists and most could care less what the ray "is" in the scientific world - IF they like it they buy it. All the BS names do nothing but confuse people so WTF listen to them? Most of us ignore them........ Why? Because all the lies have made the terminolgy completely useless. Conveniently opening the door for misinterpretation, language barriers, and other similar reasons to screw people trying to land the rays of thier dreams.......

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I agree, it is getting out of hand. Nice clean bloodlines is always the best ray you can have and IMO it shows in the looks of the ray. I have seen some videos of locals pulling out some beautiful true Black Diamond rays. I didn't realize that these beauties came from the wild. I'm talking about those Jet blacks with eclipsing and TI spotting with erratic pattering. These are my most sought after rays that I hope to own some day.

Reactions: cigars

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
label your rays whatever it takes to sell them. They KNOW what the hell the rays are..... THEY BREED THEM. I think what you meant to say was people have officially accepted the "BD" LIE.
I will actually accept this. Same way I'm looking at it just a more crude mindset. Fair enough

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
A large majority of the so called high end BD are hybrids (NOT ALL) and there fore I don't consider them BDs. They are hybrids and should be labeled that way. The only reason they attach BD to a hybrid name is to enhance the monetary value. And one of the easiest ways to tell if its pure P13 is the tail paddle. If it doesn't have the short, fat paddle then it isn't pure. If its elongated then likely has Hen or Pearl some where in its lineage.

Hybrid BD or hybrids of any kind are not my thing. No interest in adding any to my tanks.
But there are some that I find really nice, but my biggest issue with them is not tracking lineage and the secrecy surrounding them. The blatant mislabeling and misleading of what
a specific hybrid is just to make a sale.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've about had it with the stupid reply that BDs and Leos are the same species. Are we scientists here or hobbyists? I'm a hobbyist. IF I'm looking for a quality BD I don't want plain ol Leo bred with a real BD passed off as a BD. Do I give a rats ass what the scientific name of my ray is? NO. All most people care about is getting the ray they want.
I think most people have an issue with this bit right here, as its kind of contradictory in nature.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think most people have an issue with this bit right here, as its kind of contradictory in nature.
Have a mod erase it.... Hell have them erase everything I've posted int he last month, then noone has "issues" with any of it...... lol

I don't care enough anymore to even want to discuss it, let alone argue it.

I thought there was something to what I was thinking but there wasn't. It was a mistake.

Reactions: M3AN ONE

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Have a mod erase it.... Hell have them erase everything I've posted int he last month, then noone has "issues" with any of it...... lol

I don't care enough anymore to even want to discuss it, let alone argue it.

I thought there was something to what I was thinking but there wasn't. It was a mistake.
Haha don't sweat it. You're an OG; your posts have clout in my book. Just curious what the thought was? Feel free to post or take it to PM

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store