Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
Hi all,
Thought i would update you all on my journey.....Well... what a joke.....the guy i was ment to be getting the 7x2x2...is not not selling it...because 'he doesnt want to sell it anymore'...what a joke ...butttt good news....means i can get a bigger one hopefully... We have builders in at the moment so when i get back from holiday...(spain) going to ask them if my room would support a ...8ft x 2.5 x3ft tank...i know bigg..heheh if they give me the all clear then i already have found a website which could custom make a tank that size...which would be around 450 gallons...so yeh im pretty excited :) so this is my new revised stock list..and i have been looking around ;)...and you know whats coming..would this work?
1 jagaur cichlid
1 jack dempsey
1 green terror
1 oscar
1 chocolate
1 convit
3 severums
1 spotted gar
2 ornate bichir
1 fire eel
1 catifsh of some sort?
Now with the cichlids except the severums. I would get them all as babys and introduce them at the same time? Could this work and thank you again for your time and help :)

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This stock list is not likely to work long term. I would recommend either a cichlids community or a predator community.

In a mixed setup like this you will likely have some aggression from the cichlids towards the more passive fish.

Reactions: taylor the beast

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
This stock list is not likely to work long term. I would recommend either a cichlids community or a predator community.

In a mixed setup like this you will likely have some aggression from the cichlids towards the more passive fish.
Ah okay i get you...could i get a peocock bass instead of the fire eel then?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I'm pretty sure a peacock bass would eventually eat everything else on your stock list. You probably could get a peacock bass though. I just don't think you could keep much else with it.

I still think the fire eel is a good idea. They are quite docile, but will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Fortunately, their mouths are not that big compared to their body size.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If your thinking peacock bass, they should go well with some of fish towards the bottom of your list. The polys, fire eel, catfish. I personally don't like the combo of gars with peacock bass or other cichids. In many cases this results in a dead or maimed gar.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
The cichlids in the stock list you have won't work long term, if it's a male jag there is nothing in your list that would be able to stop him from claiming the whole tank. A non aggressive predator tank sounds better.

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
The cichlids in the stock list you have won't work long term, if it's a male jag there is nothing in your list that would be able to stop him from claiming the whole tank. A non aggressive predator tank sounds better.
What would be able to stop him?... a peacock bass? Not even the green terror or oscar?? What stock are we talking about if it was a non aggressive pred tank?

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
If your thinking peacock bass, they should go well with some of fish towards the bottom of your list. The polys, fire eel, catfish. I personally don't like the combo of gars with peacock bass or other cichids. In many cases this results in a dead or maimed gar.
Really?? Cant the gar stick up for itself?...and if i added a peacock bass to that eqaution would the other fish on the list be okay with it?

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
I'm pretty sure a peacock bass would eventually eat everything else on your stock list. You probably could get a peacock bass though. I just don't think you could keep much else with it.

I still think the fire eel is a good idea. They are quite docile, but will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Fortunately, their mouths are not that big compared to their body size.
What could go with the peacock bass/big enough that could go with one? Red tail giant gourami, jagaur, oscar?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The main problem I see is that the jaguar is a much more territorial and generally meaner fish than the others you have listed. I would replace the jaguar with a parachromis loisellei. A cousin of the jaguar, they look like a smaller, brighter yellow version of the fish, and are generally much more passive.
I don't have experience keeping Gar's so I can't help you there. I sued to keep a large Bichir with my cichlids and that worked out well. The fire eel I might be a bit worried about with the cichlids, as they have soft squishy skin. But I have never kept a large fire eel with cichlids, maybe it would be okay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store