Pond matrix vs ceramic rings, help!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just like any type of filtration, sand reactors obviously stop during an outage, but the media is submerged, so if the outage is not too long, some will bacteria survive. If the outage is long, you start the cycle over.
A good sand creator will need a check valve to prevent back siphonage during an outage.
At first I built mine pressurized, but ended up open top, to make it easier to maintain.
Mine was large (4ft tall) and weighed quite a bit filled with pounds of media and gallons of water, so getting it started agin under pressure was a wrestling match. Open topped was much easier, and I could add media without shutting it down.

Reactions: celebrist

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Just like any type of filtration, sand reactors obviously stop during an outage, but the media is submerged, so if the outage is not too long, some will bacteria survive. If the outage is long, you start the cycle over.
A good sand creator will need a check valve to prevent back siphonage during an outage.
At first I built mine pressurized, but ended up open top, to make it easier to maintain.
Mine was large (4ft tall) and weighed quite a bit filled with pounds of media and gallons of water, so getting it started agin under pressure was a wrestling match. Open topped was much easier, and I could add media without shutting it down.

SHEESH I just want a small one to sit in my sump. That thing is s beast!!!!!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The one in my pic above was built to handle over 300 gallons, and some of those gallons were for crowded fry tanks. The media was aragonite which helped buffering /alkalinity, besides being surface area for bacteria.

Reactions: Jhay3513
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store