Predator prey balance in 240 gal tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I tried this with guppies in a 150 with a pink tail and an African knife. They went extinct. I would like to try something like this again
I hope it works, keep us posted and pics of the shelter you scaped would be awesome
How big was your Knife to eat guppies? Mine is 7" but would only be able to take babies, a chalceus on the other hand... sheesh

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You may be surprised what a 7 inch knife can fit in it's mouth, mine was 7-8 or so
I probably will be, never fed more than pellets and frozen to them

Reactions: lunsforj

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
this ....

I think you will end up with 1 festae, 1 salvini, and 100 convicts, but you never know till you try.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I'd also throw in that you have two different sets of water parameters with the fish. The Chocolate cichlid and the Oscar are both South American fish. They need a soft water environment. CA cichlids...harder water. I have Convicts in my 400 gallon tank with Coatzacoalcos, Citrinellus, and Grammodes. They make great dithers in a big fish tank....and tasty snacks in some cases.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
If the fish are even close in size when you start, you may find that your festae has a hard time keeping up. I tried raising festae and convict types in a 135 and the festae did not keep up. Of six, only one made it, and he was always on the run. He really started growing when I put him in a smaller tank without the cons to compete with

Reactions: dan518 and J. H.

Cutbait

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
I'd also throw in that you have two different sets of water parameters with the fish. The Chocolate cichlid and the Oscar are both South American fish. They need a soft water environment. CA cichlids...harder water. I have Convicts in my 400 gallon tank with Coatzacoalcos, Citrinellus, and Grammodes. They make great dithers in a big fish tank....and tasty snacks in some cases.
Thanks for the tip on the soft water for the Chocolate Cichlid and the Oscar.

Cutbait

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
If the fish are even close in size when you start, you may find that your festae has a hard time keeping up. I tried raising festae and convict types in a 135 and the festae did not keep up. Of six, only one made it, and he was always on the run. He really started growing when I put him in a smaller tank without the cons to compete with
You are so correct NW Cichlid Keith. My Festea was really behind the eightball, but now he's moved up the pecking order.

Cutbait

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
I think you will end up with 1 festae, 1 salvini, and 100 convicts, but you never know till you try.
I totally understand that the Festae being one of the last fish swimming, and the Salvini is a tough little fish, currently #2 in the pecking order. But you ruled out the Jack Dempsey, Beani, and the Green Terror. All should out grow the Salvini. Do Salvinis have that much grit?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I totally understand that the Festae being one of the last fish swimming, and the Salvini is a tough little fish, currently #2 in the pecking order. But you ruled out the Jack Dempsey, Beani, and the Green Terror. All should out grow the Salvini. Do Salvinis have that much grit?
They have more teeth and can have a lot of attitude compared to other fish

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store