"Common" CB Senegals vs Nigerian wild caught. Diff Sp?

Could there be a different subspecies at play here?

• I think so

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No ways

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Yes about that, my patience was wearing thin and I sort of lost my temper. Ultimately, adding insults will only take away from a valid argument, and it's something I usually try not to do.

So I really am sorry if I offended anyone.

Just for the record, I never actually called jaws a simpleton. I was only reflecting on what he said himself. :D
It’s all good man we all do it. He did say that hahaha. My apologies. I think we all got pretty heated.

In closing here is a great video about everyone’s favorite the PBB to some relaxing music.

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
I suppose one way to get definite answers would be to dissect and thoroughly study dead specimens from known locations. Things to look for would be thickness of the scales, general shape of the skull, size of the eyes, number of vertebra and finlets, general build of the body, fin length, and colour/pattern. There are probably other things to look for as well without requiring expensive equipment. Going about it this way would only require a sharp knife and a microscope. It would be quite the project, and sourcing a bunch of dead Bichirs would be hard as well, but then you do live in Africa Hendre. Or better yet become a biologist and get funding :D

Also, an observation. If for example P. Polli or P. Palmas was uniformly grey like the Senegal they might never have been recognized as a species of their own, even though they're genetically distinct, because nobody cared to look closer. Just sayin'.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
To Hendre Hendre I never want to discourage I hope you didnt take it that way. If you did I'm sorry. I just want people to understand that just because it looks different doesn't make it so. But sometimes it does and I'm sure you don't really want to go to the lengths to find out you did or didn't have a subspecies because at that point it wouldn't matter anymore.

Mighty Wizard Mighty Wizard I know there are species that haven't been discovered yet and may be ones we never do. That's what makes this world so cool. And like you said these guys are so malleable they can change bone and muscular structures in the current generation so only goes to say what they could do in a few. Again don't mean to discourage. It just not likely it's any different then the cb at the level of species or subspecies.
On a different/pliability note did you guys see the study done on these out of water. The study group escapes me atm. So cool!

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
It’s all good man we all do it. He did say that hahaha. My apologies. I think we all got pretty heated.

In closing here is a great video about everyone’s favorite the PBB to some relaxing music.
This is the infamous uber hard to get Lake Turkana PBB. Only a few expedition from Kamihata group Japan took place, because it was so dangerous.

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
This is the infamous uber hard to get Lake Turkana PBB. Only a few expedition from Kamihata group Japan took place, because it was so dangerous.
You know you're dedicated when you're risking malaria, getting eaten by wildlife, and being chopped to bits by angry natives just for a fish! People have actually died over the years while on expedition in Africa doing surveys on Bichirs. Crazy if you think about it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Applogies not needed the word offended is not in my vocabulary. What can i say when i see b.s i call b.s.... had we been in anyother section i'd have gone right back with insults all good in the hood but out of respect for the way we do things in here i tried to keep thing squeaky clean lol.

That pbb will be the death of me

Reactions: magpie and clm08k

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm useless at polys, that's why I don't stay here much.

On the generation thing, in an experiment on sens those raised on land had a different bone structure to those in water to facilitate better movement across their enclosure. It's pretty cool.

Polys may be quite moldable, and I'm wondering if the conditions in tanks have anything to do with it.

You know you're dedicated when you're risking malaria, getting eaten by wildlife, and being chopped to bits by angry natives just for a fish! People have actually died over the years while on expedition in Africa doing surveys on Bichirs. Crazy if you think about it.
Scary enough in the "safe" areas already. I happened to pick up Southern Africas most venomous Scorpion in a test tube :eek:

To Hendre Hendre I never want to discourage I hope you didnt take it that way. If you did I'm sorry. I just want people to understand that just because it looks different doesn't make it so. But sometimes it does and I'm sure you don't really want to go to the lengths to find out you did or didn't have a subspecies because at that point it wouldn't matter anymore
Thanks. I was purely speculating and trying to get my head around the whole concept...

Awww snap, that's my favorite one!

I need to find myself more sens from all over the place and see what they look like eventually. The one I have is imported at 12-14" sometimes!

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Which species of Scorpion? Also you guys have some of the most beautiful and interesting reptiles on the planet. Like Sungazers. Man Sungazers are so awesome. And Armadillo Lizards. Also I don't know if the Bush viper is found that far south, but man, those are beautiful as well.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Which species of Scorpion? Also you guys have some of the most beautiful and interesting reptiles on the planet. Like Sungazers. Man Sungazers are so awesome. And Armadillo Lizards. Also I don't know if the Bush viper is found that far south, but man, those are beautiful as well.
Cape fat tailed scorpions, small ones too :eek:

Never heard of those lizards till now, they are very cool! Must keep an eye out if I head to desert again. Seen a bearded dragon type lizard before, and going to look for emperor scorpions when I travel later this year :)

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Cape fat tailed scorpions, small ones too :eek:

Never heard of those lizards till now, they are very cool! Must keep an eye out if I head to desert again. Seen a bearded dragon type lizard before, and going to look for emperor scorpions when I travel later this year :)
Oh yeah sungazers are marvelous creatures. Their scientific name is Smaug giganteus, named for their striking resemblance to a dragon, and because Tolkien was apparently inspired by them during his stay in SA. Armadillo lizards are closely related and similar in many respects, only cuter. Sadly only a few reptiles are legal without special permits where I live, or else I would definitely keep some myself. If I where you I would head out into the desert to check them out right away :p

That's a very interesting scorpion by the way, according to Wikipedia their scientific name means man-killer, which is certainly interesting in its own right. Did you keep it for long?

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store