• No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
The main problem I see is that the jaguar is a much more territorial and generally meaner fish than the others you have listed. I would replace the jaguar with a parachromis loisellei. A cousin of the jaguar, they look like a smaller, brighter yellow version of the fish, and are generally much more passive.
I don't have experience keeping Gar's so I can't help you there. I sued to keep a large Bichir with my cichlids and that worked out well. The fire eel I might be a bit worried about with the cichlids, as they have soft squishy skin. But I have never kept a large fire eel with cichlids, maybe it would be okay.
What could i put in there to even up the playing fields?...as i do really like the look of a jag in my tank? Hmm thats what i thought but the one i reserved at my LFS is 10 inches long already so should be big enough to look after him self?...thanks for the advice :)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What could i put in there to even up the playing fields?...as i do really like the look of a jag in my tank? Hmm thats what i thought but the one i reserved at my LFS is 10 inches long already so should be big enough to look after him self?...thanks for the advice :)
Well it might work out considering it is quite a large tank, but then again it might not. And if it doesn't, the Jag could kill any of the other fish pretty quickly if he wanted to. That's the risk you'd be taking, but you could just try it and keep an eye on them and a divider handy.
You would probably have better luck keeping amphilophus or other aggressive central-American cichlids with the jaguar than the comparatively mild south americans you have listed.

Reactions: taylor the beast

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
Well it might work out considering it is quite a large tank, but then again it might not. And if it doesn't, the Jag could kill any of the other fish pretty quickly if he wanted to. That's the risk you'd be taking, but you could just try it and keep an eye on them and a divider handy.
You would probably have better luck keeping amphilophus or other aggressive central-American cichlids with the jaguar than the comparatively mild south americans you have listed.
What fish could survive the jag agro? And i got all the cichlids at the same time as babys and interoduce them at the same time would that help?

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
What would be able to stop him?... a peacock bass? Not even the green terror or oscar?? What stock are we talking about if it was a non aggressive pred tank?
Peacock bass are not aggressive just predatory towards smaller fish a full grown 14inch plus jaguar can and most likely will mow down it's tankmates I would suggest either aggressive cichlids community or a predator community
Some cichlid options include
Festae cichlid (red terror)
Midas cichlid
Jaguar cichlid
Vieja synspilum
Vieja argentea
Texas cichlid
Trimac cichlid
Ornatums
For predatory fish
Siamese Tiger fish
Asian arowana
Wolf fish (mala)
Peacock bass
Large catfish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Getting the fish together as youngsters and letting them grow up together generally is a good idea, but you need to take into account the differences in growth rates as well. For example- if you got a Jaguar and a festae at the same time, and they are both 2", in about 6 months time the jaguar will probably be close to 8" and the festae might only be 3 or 4. Slower growing fish you will probably want to get a little bit bigger.
The list that TMT^ posted contains some good suggestions, just know that it is a difficult balancing act getting an aggressive community to work. It's pretty much impossible to say "do 1 of these, 1 of these, 1 of these and you'll be good" with these fish. Everything is a chance. And the more aggressive fish will be less likely to let the usually less-aggressive predatory oddballs share the tank.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
What I do is if you like the big cichlids, jags etc, is got a load of them as babies from the list above and put them all in the tank together and let them grow and work out their own pecking order. The big CA cichlids all have different personalities so saying 'this fish won't work with this fish' is kind of pointless. I have basically bought babies of all the species I like and let them grow and fight it out... then remove the ones that you don't like or get to badly beaten up. It's a risk of course but you will get as close to a stable tank as you can with the big fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store