Can fish parasites or diseases be pass to us?

Catherine K. Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2017
All fish carry pathogens and parasites. Usually this is at some cost to the fish. If the cost is sufficiently high, then the impacts can be characterised as a disease. However disease in fish is not understood well. What is known about fish disease often relates to aquaria fish, and more recently, to farmed fish.

Disease is a prime agent affecting fish mortality, especially when fish are young. Fish can limit the impacts of pathogens and parasites with behavioural or biochemical means, and such fish have reproductive advantages. Interacting factors result in low grade infection becoming fatal diseases. In particular, things that causes stress, such as natural droughts or pollution or predators, can precipitate outbreak of disease.

Disease can also be particularly problematic when pathogens and parasites carried by introduced species affect native species. An introduced species may find invading easier if potential predators and competitors have been decimated by disease.

Pathogens which can cause fish diseases comprise:

> viral infections
> bacterial infections, such as Pseudomonas fluorescens leading to fin rot and fish dropsy
> fungal infections
> water mould infections, such as Saprolegnia sp.
> metazoan parasites, such as copepods
> unicellular parasites, such as Ichthyophthirius multifiliis leading to ich
> Certain parasites like Helminths for example Eustrongylides

So advice to anyone wash your hands always after having a direct contact with fishes or or on fish tank water try using PURELL or Germ-x

Reactions: robham777

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I wonder if the black latex or whatever mechanic gloves are safe for the fish, I started wearing them just to help prevent issues if I'm handling a lot of filter media and such, and wash hands and arms after.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
There are a number of parasites that will live in freshwater in general. I think that you have to have broken skin immersed in contaminated water, or have contaminated water get into a mucus membrane in order for this to be a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That being said, I wouldn't suggest pulling your filter pad out, and wringing it into your mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store