African convict cichlids

Angel Gould

Feeder Fish
Oct 20, 2017
Hi im new and i habe a breesing pair of convict cichlids who had fry a week and 3 days ago there is at least 60 but i think more....

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Convict cichlids don't come from Africa but congrats on the spawning.Maybe after they grow some you can take them to a shop for a little cash or store credit.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree the typical cichlid associated with trade name "Convict" is from Nicaragua and some other Central American countries.
That said, common names are rather nebulous and can be applied to different fish, in different areas.
I could see someone calling Heterotilapia buttikoferi a convict because of its stripes, and even seen some LFSs house the two together with some employees not beiing able to tell the difference.
OP maybe you should post a pic?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good point Duanes.....now, it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that Angel has a pair of buttikoferi.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Makes my butti tank sound like a prison since my dithers are convicts lol

Reactions: J. H.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice looking pair! Great cichlid because of how readily they breed. And just a heads up, they are central American, not south. May not seem like a big deal but the cichlids found in the two continents are actually very different

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store