Shy/skiddish Tiger Oscar

Jacob74670

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2017
IMG_2265.JPG i recently got a oscar that is around 2"-2.5" around there. he's in a 55 gallon with a small senegal bichir. the water temp is reading 80 degrees which shouldn't be the problem. and the bichir is doing good besides being lethargic sometimes at the top of the water. but the oscar is always hiding and darts back into hiding when i go around the aquarium and idk why. i want him to come out and eat but he just won't. the water is good with the bacteria needed and it's been cycled so my water is good.

IMG_2266.JPG

Zachk29

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
California
I’ve owned Oscars in the past and just got another last week around the same size 2-2.5 inches. When I first got him/her it was shy but never hid to much. When it gets used to you and the tank it should come out of hiding almost all the time. It will kind of act like a dog follow you when you walk past the tank waiting for food. They have great personalities! I would suggest putting food in the tank and stepping back so you don’t spook the Oscar. Also I would plan to upgrade tanks in the future because Oscars can grow over 12 inches.

Jacob74670

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2017
Test your water params. Generally a "my waters good, so its not that" translates to "i dont test my water,but its cycled" a scared O and a bichir thats laying on the top are both signs somethings not ok
i thought i mentioned it was tested but i didn't. so i had it tested when i bought the oscar at the pet store and everything was fine.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
While I agree with mattison187 mattison187

2 inches is tiny. Plus being recently acquired usually means it’s gonna be shy at first.
In some time it will grow into its O personality.

But check your water parameters and post them. It could be warming signs, and never hurts to test your water.

So I posted this right before you answered, but I want to say most pet store places tests are garbage. The majority, at least the majority that I’ve been to use strips to test. Which aren’t super accurate in the first place, but then they get left out and open frequently at the pet store and often can’t be trusted at all.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yup, new fish are shy, more so when they are small, and even more so when there are other fish in the tank.

Give it a week to see that you = food, and that the tank is basically safe, and it should be okay.

And I concur. I'd want to know the actual readings for the water, and I don't trust a store to tell me it's "ok." They could be using expired test kits, test strips, etc.

"...bichir is doing good besides being lethargic sometimes at the top of the water..." would concern me. Perhaps without reason, but gosh, I'd want those 2 fish to thrive.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
A quality fish store will use liquid tests, tell you the exact number of the test, and use liquid tests that are not expired. The one test that can be botched is the nitrate test if they do not use that at least once a week.

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Here is a direct quote from the sticky over in the poly section of this forum.

Floating:

After staring at a tank full of small active bichirs or ropefish in an aquarium at your local fish store, you finally decide to bring one home.

After introducing it into your aquarium, many first time keepers are disturbed when their active baby bichir or rope is suddenly inactive, and remains floating at the waters surface in the aquarium. Rest assured you are observing normal and healthy behavior, which instinctively helps these fish survive in the wild.

In nature:
To understand how this behavior helps young polypterus survive, it helps to know about their natural habitat. Bichirs come from lakes and river systems in Africa, some with quick moving water and all with plenty of vegetation along the banks.

This vegetation acts as a nursery for young bichirs, who remain where the water is calm, and hide amongst the leaves. Because bichirs need to breathe atmospheric air, baby bichirs and ropes cannot afford to venture too deep, and must remain relatively close to the surface. By floating, they have easy access to breathe air, easy prey such as insects and their larvae, and remain relatively sheltered from predators.

In the aquarium:
As previously mentioned, young polypterus instinctively prefer to spend most of their time floating amongst floating plants, which is why I always suggest floating plants for bichir grow-out tanks.

Newly introduced adult bichirs and ropes may also float to help them feel secure at first, before they settle into a tank. It is less common in adults, and seems to be mainly done by upper-jaw species and ropes.

Unnatural floating:
Sometimes, you may observer your bichirs struggling to swim towards the bottom of the tank, with their tail-end floating towards the surface. Most times this is only temporary, and cause by the fish eating floating type pellet food before it's had enough chance to absorb water.

If the fish becomes bloated, or symptoms last longer than a couple days, refer to The Polypterid health information sticky.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
One of the first things you should do is a get a liquid test kit... That will give you great info on whether or not your water quality is the problem. It is VERY HARD to reliably determine water quality from appearance, clarity or even smell... The test strips are somewhat unreliable if they haven't been stored properly. If your fish store tested the water, what were the results?

Once you rule out a water quality issue (which really is the problem most of the time, and needs to be addressed rather quickly), then you can kind of take your time and the people here can help you determine whether it's an acclimation, disease, behavioral issue, etc.

Good luck! Oscars and bichirs are very hardy and should be able to handle pretty much anything if you correct it soon enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store