Ultima II 1000 in a living room show tank questions

gtw7983

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
Decided to go the Ultimate II 1000 route for a 300 gallon show tank in my living room.
The problem is I can drill a hole in my wall for the waste output line.
What would you guys suggest to handle the backwash?
Can I connect a flexible pvc or plastic hose to direct the water outside to the yard when backwash?
Thanks much for any suggestions! Pictures showing similar setups will be greatly appreciated.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I used PVC pipe for back wash and draining. I also ran the pipe through the wall to the planter outside. Hope this answers your question.

gtw7983

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
Here's a couple pics, I had clear PVC out of the Ultima that changed to white going through the wall. View attachment 1280784 View attachment 1280785
Thank you very much! I wish I could hard plumb it and drill a hole in my wall for the waste line. Unfortunately I can’t. Do you think I can use a temporary flexible hose to direct the waste water to my yard whenever a backwash is needed? Thanks again

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just curious if you have researched the noise level on the filter itself and the pump that is required to run it. Would it be loud for that area?

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Thank you very much! I wish I could hard plumb it and drill a hole in my wall for the waste line. Unfortunately I can’t. Do you think I can use a temporary flexible hose to direct the waste water to my yard whenever a backwash is needed? Thanks again
yes, flex will work, it may not handle the same volume though, so just keep an eye on that.[/QUOTE

You can use flexible PVC in 1 1/2" diameter, it's what is used for Jacuzzis. It glues just like regular and you can get it at Home Depot. You could hard pipe from the filter to a union and connect the flex to it at back wash time.

Just curious if you have researched the noise level on the filter itself and the pump that is required to run it. Would it be loud for that area?
Mine was in the living room but inside the stand, wasn't noticeable unless you listening for it. Depends on the pump though I'm sure. I used Reeflo swordtail pumps with good success.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store