my new burmese tire track eel

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
so I was at an auction at a fish convention banquet and the auction used fake money earned from trivia questions and after winning a couple Items I wanted (LF lemon drop bristlenose and a live well) I had extra fake money and started bidding on fish that were going cheap and ended up with 7x electric blues and 18x lemon jacks I gave 12x lemon jacks away but was left with the rest with nowhere to put them or even a desire to keep them so I went to a fish store that was recommended to me and they too them for store credit and I got this gorgeous 10" burmese tire track eel

pirelli 1.jpg pirelli 2.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice addition. Kind of looking for one now as well. A good size like yours.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I was just out by the tank he was annoying my new pinocchio whiptail I got at one of the convention vendors. He kept nosing it's vent like a dog sniffing a crotch

Reactions: FishBeast

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
well I got woken up by my roommate this morning he found my new eel on the floor by the tank and he thought it was dead but it weakly moved when he touched it so he quickly put it back in the tank and came and got me. When I get in there he was covered in lint but his breathing did not seem labored I used a small net to move the moss he was under to get a better look and he moved a little but I could tell he was weak. When I checked on him an hour later and he had moved to a tube and seems alert and he had gotten most of his lint coat off so I used the net to get the fuzz and he moved around like normal but do think he is going to shed his slime coat

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
that's the thing the lid is pretty tight fitting because I also have 2 fire eels, 8 bichirs, and 3 ropefish. The water parameters are 25 nitrate, 0 nitrite, and 0 ammonia. I do think I know how he got out because the HOB had stopped which happens when the intake tube is hit hard so I have an idea for a screen that should prevent anybody from climbing the tube again. About an hour ago when I checked on him he did not look good he was laying flat on his side breathing hard which at that time I figured he was pretty much a goner however when checked on him a minute ago he had righted himself and wasn't breathing hard anymore

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Black Spotted Eel - Mastacembelus dayi

T thefredpit That gorgeous eel is not a tire track. It's not a common eel to be found at an LFS. They're misidentified often. Anytime an eel has heavy breathing issues. I have found that adding additional aeration and water flow is the remedy.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Now for an update.

He is now taking earthworms daily and the damage from the carpet surfing is almost healed I am really happy he pulled through, I was worried for the 1st couple days when he was laying on his side out in the open

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store