Is this stocking for my 75 and 55 gallon feaseable?

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Currently I have!
- 12 boesemani rainbows/austrailian rainbows
- 3 male bettas
- healthy number of ramshorn and bladder snails

"- 2 glass cats
- 1 red cloud minnow"

rehoming these guys.

Going to add these guys!
- 6 scarlet badis (Iffy about these guys because they might nip my bettas, but we will see.)
- 10 otos (maybe)
- 10 darter/hummingbird tetras
- maybe 2 pear gouramis? (My honey gouramis nipped the older bettas so iffy about this one, let me know)
- when the 2 older male bettas pass, i'll add 2 female bettas to replace them
- and might add a colony of wild neocardina shrimp
- might add school normans lampeye killifish

(Is this feaseable?)

55 Gallon Brackish!
Havne't done anything yet but thinking of this
- 4-6 f8 puffers (rehoming the aggresive ones keeping the passive ones)
- colony of guppies
- 6 BB gobies (What do you think)
- Sailfin or Ballon mollies or both!

Any other fish recommendations?

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Freshwater 75:
- Increase the rainbow count to 18.
- Lose all the bettas. How did you have 3 male bettas in the same tank?
- Scarlet badis are very shy and small. Same with the lampeye killies! Rainbows and gouramis might nip them or harrass them to death. Not recommended.
- All the shrimp will be consumed heartily.

Brackish 55:
- Puffers may nip livebearer fins.
- BB gobies ok. Get a dragon goby maybe but YMMV?

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Freshwater 75:
- Increase the rainbow count to 18.
- Lose all the bettas. How did you have 3 male bettas in the same tank?
- Scarlet badis are very shy and small. Same with the lampeye killies! Rainbows and gouramis might nip them or harrass them to death. Not recommended.
- All the shrimp will be consumed heartily.

Brackish 55:
- Puffers may nip livebearer fins.
- BB gobies ok. Get a dragon goby maybe but YMMV?
The bettas and and rainbows are living harmonically right now lol. It was an accident that they all ended up in the same tank but seems like they are doing ok....... Z.Z

The 1 older blue male dislikes the younger veil-tail but he can't do much as hes old and slow..... the veil tail doesnt nip back or flare up at anyone those.

I have noticed the rainbows to be SUPER boisterous and I think that may be why the glass catfish are underneath my filter 24/7. Or maybe cause it' shade. Rehoming them. Is a 15/20 gallon ok for the glass cats?

I won't get the lampeye killifish but will get the Scarlet Badis even though they are shy if that's ok. I will have a decently sized group of them, the rainbowfish don't nip the lone red cloud or the bettas right now so that gives me an idea on their behavior.

So from your recommendations lol.

How bout:
- 16 or 14 rainbows if I can find some (Do rainbows cross breed with different species of rainbows?)
- Will keep the 3 bettas as I can't put them anywhere right now. They seem to be ok for the moment but have a backup plan if that doesn't work.
- 8-10 otos
- 8-10 hummingbird tetras
- 6 Scarlet Badis but will move them to my honey gourami or killifish tank if they are too timid for the tank

Now the 55.............
Q's: Aren't dragon gobies to big for a 55? How many F8 Puffers can I keep in the 55? Why do F8 puffers nip the livebearers but not the BB Gobies? Which is a more Boisterous, or Livebearer that can defend itself. I heard sailfins are good but they get a bit of aggression to....... from what i've heard.......

Both tanks will be heavily planted soon so that may help.

Maybe
- X number of F8 puffers
- X number of bb gobies
- Maybe dragon goby????

- Will try out a feeder guppy from my pleco breeding tank but if they get nipped than that will determine if I will get livebearers or now. Thanks! Again lolz.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have noticed the rainbows to be SUPER boisterous and I think that may be why the glass catfish are underneath my filter 24/7. Or maybe cause it' shade. Rehoming them. Is a 15/20 gallon ok for the glass cats?
It should be big enough. The trick with them is to get a school, some plants to hang out in, and somewhere to stay out of the way of the rougher fish. They'll probably be fine with 5 in a 10g, if you stayed on top of the water quality.
Now the 55.............
Q's: Aren't dragon gobies to big for a 55? How many F8 Puffers can I keep in the 55? Why do F8 puffers nip the livebearers but not the BB Gobies? Which is a more Boisterous, or Livebearer that can defend itself. I heard sailfins are good but they get a bit of aggression to....... from what i've heard.......
The bigger and tougher mollies may even beat up your f8s. Dan Hiteshaw, on Youtube, had his mollies drive his f8 into hiding and keep it there until he took them out. They can get pretty aggressive, especially the males. Dragon gobies may eat the BB gobies. The trick with guppies, or any other such livebearer IMO, is to keep a colony and be okay with losing one or two. I see people do keep BB gobies with f8s, so I guess they are quick and stay out of the way or something, because it does seem to work.

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
It should be big enough. The trick with them is to get a school, some plants to hang out in, and somewhere to stay out of the way of the rougher fish. They'll probably be fine with 5 in a 10g, if you stayed on top of the water quality.

The bigger and tougher mollies may even beat up your f8s. Dan Hiteshaw, on Youtube, had his mollies drive his f8 into hiding and keep it there until he took them out. They can get pretty aggressive, especially the males. Dragon gobies may eat the BB gobies. The trick with guppies, or any other such livebearer IMO, is to keep a colony and be okay with losing one or two. I see people do keep BB gobies with f8s, so I guess they are quick and stay out of the way or something, because it does seem to work.
So should I add more glass cats to the tank? If they still stay hiding then give them over to my dad in his 15g?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
So should I add more glass cats to the tank? If they still stay hiding then give them over to my dad in his 15g?
Yes...and no. They will do better with a few more, and they will do fine in the 15 if there are no tiger barbs or anything to rip them apart, but they will always want to hide. Watch some videos of them on Youtube; that is what they like to do - hover in little groups in the plants, darting back and forth every now and then.

Reactions: FishBeast

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Yes...and no. They will do better with a few more, and they will do fine in the 15 if there are no tiger barbs or anything to rip them apart, but they will always want to hide. Watch some videos of them on Youtube; that is what they like to do - hover in little groups in the plants, darting back and forth every now and then.
Ah ok. And I was looking up tank mates for a f8 puffer..... would indian mudskippers be feaseable?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store