Flowerhorn

keithJ

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2017
Hello, I have a mature Flowerhorn cichlid who's lips have become slightly swollen and he seems to have trouble moving his mouth. There is also a small abtrusion or sore on the bottom side of his mouth/jaw. He hasn't been eating for the past two days. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but this situation occurred after feeding him a food called "bug bites" made by the Fluval company. Also, he has a small "dent" on his crown, I guess from hitting his head on something in the tank. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The disease columnaris (duck lips (once called flower horn disease) is very common with hybrid cichlids.
And is most virulent at temps above 82'F.
It is bacterial (gram neg)
The bacteria thrives in detritus, in the substrate, and in filter media, so constant vacuuming and cleaning of media is needed once its in the sytem.
Here are some pics.

There are effective treatments, but never worked long term for me.
I usually euthanize the fish, tear down the tank, and sanitize it with bleach.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Post the picture as requested, but I will share that the combination of nitrofurazone and kanamyacin is the only thing I've found successful against columnaris. 7 days max treatment period as it is hard on the fish, but has saved lives in my systems.

Before you go adding anything to the tank, let us see what you're referring to. Could be usual damage as flowerhorns play rough, even when by themselves.

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store