baby Hoplias aimara ?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
thanks moe i found that one . the question is how long have they been together i guess .
mine are ok for most of the day but scrappy still here and there i guess it just depends if you dont mind have fish with war wounds most of the time lol . its the eyes i worry about most so far so good though

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
thanks moe i found that one . the question is how long have they been together i guess .
mine are ok for most of the day but scrappy still here and there i guess it just depends if you dont mind have fish with war wounds most of the time lol . its the eyes i worry about most so far so good though
That's the same question I always wonder about when I see random vids of a comm. And you are likely right

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
well enough of that , one fish ended up getting totally dominated by the other . torn up pretty good . started to get some damage close to one of his eyes . so thats enough of that . i rigged up a way to make sure the divider cant get knock down as easy with some suction cups . will let the one guy heal up and then hopefully sell him

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
well enough of that , one fish ended up getting totally dominated by the other . torn up pretty good . started to get some damage close to one of his eyes . so thats enough of that . i rigged up a way to make sure the divider cant get knock down as easy with some suction cups . will let the one guy heal up and then hopefully sell him
Sounds like a plan

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
a little update for these guys , i figured out how to post videos recently so figured i should up date this thread with few as well .

the suction cups didnt help at all , the one fish was just too determined to be with the other one , and its the one that takes the brunt of the beatings , go figure .

anyway i gave up on the divider and just got them each a bigger hide tube . a large plumbing y tube connector . they each have there own . and seem to know whos is whos but one fish is definitely the boss . even though they still do fight they arent killing each other .

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
the sun fish have been in the tank since aug 27 th , there were three but one got eaten . theses two im surprised too . at first they did bite them , they had considerable wounds for a while . but they seem to have accepted them now . the minnows i just caught today as well as a few crayfish

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Glad it's working better keep up with the updates :) in aggressive comms you'll never have perfect fish for long. Only way is single fish tanks lol so I wouldn't worry about the little fights especially with wolves. They heal so fast and are very hardy

Reactions: peter predtank

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
so apparently hoplias aimara are easily sexed by there anal fin . i found this cool bit of info googling away . found the link on another forum actually , predatory fish keepers dot com .

anyway in the study the native riparian people in the area where the study was done , told researchers they could tell the male and female apart , using the anal fin . the researchers confirmed what the natives already knew by catching and dissection .

it turns out it should be pretty easy to tell from the anal fin . so i tried to get a look at mine and compare to the pics in the artical . but this is a little harder then would be expected . i did get a look at them and im leaning toward both being female but im not 100 percent sure . pretty sure the one is , but there still could be some hope the other one is a male .

anyway im trying to figure out the best way to be able to get a real good look . and even pics that i can then blow up a bit on the computer and get an even better look and comparison .
i will post here too for others to see and possibly help me come to a conclusion .

ok so the problem is going to be catching these guys without hurting them , or getting bitten lol im not to worried about being bitten more just about doing the least harm to the fish .

anyone have any ideas ?

im thinking of catching them with a rubber net and then maybe wrapping the front end of the fish in a wet towel with the back end sticking out , holding them in such a way to spread out the anal fin and get my wife to snap a couple pics . do you guys think this is a good idea with the towel ? or will this maybe take off the slime coat ?any other suggestions

heres a like to the artical its a pretty cool read

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjb/v74n3/1519-6984-bjb-74-03-687.pdf

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Man they must feel offended you underestimating them lol grab them with a regular net and grab them with your hand, they breath atomispheric air ime they relax after they take a breath then you can turn them on their side or hold them and just grab the anal fin and she can take pics, don't have to make it more complicated than it had to be

Reactions: peter predtank
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store