Wels catfish

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
can these cats come in black because many years ago I bought an unmarked catfish that the salesperson didn't know what it was it was about 4 " and within a year
it outgrow my 125 gal tank

Reactions: Kingrancher2011

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
can these cats come in black because many years ago I bought an unmarked catfish that the salesperson didn't know what it was it was about 4 " and within a year
it outgrow my 125 gal tank
Wels are nearly impossible to buy by accident. Actually, I should say just impossible. In the US anyway. It could have been an Ompok (siluroides is by far the most common) but since you say it outgrew 125 gal quickly, it could have been a Wallago, most likely leerii or micropogon. Which are usually expensive fish. Ompok are cheap.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wels are nearly impossible to buy by accident. Actually, I should say just impossible. In the US anyway. It could have been an Ompok (siluroides is by far the most common) but since you say it outgrew 125 gal quickly, it could have been a Wallago, most likely leerii or micropogon. Which are usually expensive fish. Ompok are cheap.
Was thinking the same think but then thought it's hard to mix the two. But to didn't consider it may be to an untrained eye

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
was kind of pissed that the lfs sales person didn't know what it was but it ate like a pig and grew very fast

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store