PVC Bottom Glass Tank

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
I'm going to start planning a 480g (8'x4'x24") glass tank to replace my glass 300g. I already have 1/2" glass for the sides and needed bracing, but trying to figure out what to do about the bottom. I dont want glass, since an 8x4' is going to be costly and PVC or wood bottom actually sounds a lot stronger and more safe. In addition to being easier for overflow drilling and closed loop system.

I found a place locally that can make me a 1" thick 8x4' PVC sheet with a 5/8" edge cut out of the sides to bond the glass to two surfaces. I am considering this over the messy wood/epoxy/fiberglass method.

Im looking for suggestions on what silicone/adhesive to use to bond the PVC to the glass.

Any help or suggestions on the tank design and silicone is welcome.

Thanks

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
Well, got a hold of DOW and got this typical lawyer/liability response.

"Sorry but we do not make recommendations for aquarium sealants nor do we warrant performance for continuous use underwater"

Anyone know what kind of silicone AGE or Planet Aquarium uses on their PVC bottom tanks?

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
I'm considering going plywood/fiberglass/pond armor bottom instead. Seems to be more info available on the plywood bottom tanks vs the PVC.

Been watching Joey's Youtube Series on his plywood bottom build today to get some ideas.

Reactions: badassissimo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store