Feeding your stingrays and other fish wild caught earthworms?

Victor-Falko

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Dutchess County, New York
I would just like to ask those who have have dug up Earthworms themselves and fed it to their rays and other fish. What results did you find feeding your fish these earthworms?

I have read that the common fear is introducing pollutants/ pesticides/ fertilizers to your fish. However, I am lucky enough to have a large property which does not use any chemicals. I also live far away enough from any neighbors to not be impacted if they used chemicals. My one concern would be introducing some kind of bacteria. Is this a legitimate concern? What are the best methods of preparing earthworms for a feeding?

I have came to the conclusion that most fish keepers who feed their rays worms don't have access to earthworms or faced with worms that may have contaminates. So, they buy their worms from a bait shop. However, for those of you who have experience or knowledge of using your own worms, could you please let me know what you think? Thank you so much.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
If you're confident that your soil is clear of pollutants and contaminants I wouldn't be afraid to feed them. I would use caution feeding worms as a staple, as rays can become addicted to the taste and refuse other foods. I only use worms for pups and rays that are ill or refusing foods. Or when I get a new ray that is underweight.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Yup, it's always a risk with contamination. If you can dig them where there isn't any agricultural runoff, lawn ferts, pesticides..all that stuff, than your good to go. I pick my own every spring and feed the rays and other fish. Never had any issues.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
There’s always the chance of something but the risk shoots right up when you have close neighbors or you live in areas where they spray any kind of chemicals. Even buying bait shop or farm worms there’s always the chance.

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
I always dig a few up for a treat once a week, my rays go nuts for them. I suppose there could be a risk but if it’d kill your fish would it not kill the worms. I’m confident they’re safe from my garden anyway. I just dig em up n throw em in never had any concerns.

Victor-Falko

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Dutchess County, New York
Thank you all for the responses!

I would have no problem making worms a large part of their diet in the warmer months. However, when winter arrives I would lose my endless supply of worms. And like you guys said they will fall in love the worms and reject other foods. So, I will only use worms on a limited basis.

May I ask if you guys just drop the worms in the tank? Or do you have some method of cleaning the "dirt" out of them? Does it even matter?

Dat boi blu

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
I have been feeding my bass worms and I have never had a problem. I wash them off first so I don’t get any dirt in the tank.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I also collect earthworms from my garden.
I have the space for a mulch pile and I add vegie cuttings from the kitchen so I know its safe

However as Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid said... Just be careful.. if they get addicted to worms they refuse other food.
My naughty BD female is doing it to me now...
I have a baby with her and have been giving the baby worms so fat madam bd (she is fat!) doesn't want anything else!
Fortunately baby is starting to take prawn nicely so soon Madam Polkadot is going to starve a day or two!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store