baby Hoplias aimara ?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
i have a feeling they will bite right through a normal aquarium fish net . i do have a large one but not sure if its big enough lol . i have a normal fishing net for fishing . but its pretty rough on there bodies , at least it was with my peacock bass and silver arowanas .

thats why i was thinking of getting a rubber one . the towel idea is just a thought to better hold them i dont want them on the carpet had another fish end up on the carpet ended up with fungus . these are my prized babies lol

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
i have a feeling they will bite right through a normal aquarium fish net . i do have a large one but not sure if its big enough lol . i have a normal fishing net for fishing . but its pretty rough on there bodies , at least it was with my peacock bass and silver arowanas .

thats why i was thinking of getting a rubber one . the towel idea is just a thought to better hold them i dont want them on the carpet had another fish end up on the carpet ended up with fungus . these are my prized babies lol
So then go with your ideas and you'll be just fine lol

Reactions: peter predtank

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
probably will just thought i might see if anybody elles had any ideas ;) or experiences doing similar things .
When I took my wolves out I had wood floors so I put them on a towel, but as far as andling I did it with my hand and a regular net to get them out. My gold wolf swam into the net and went right through so take them out fast if you use a regular net they're stronger than the net lol

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
ok so i got some pics . please feel free to tell me your opinions . i going to call them fish 1 and fish 2 im pretty confident that fish 1 is female ? fish 2 im not as sure .

i wondered if blowing the pics up and counting scales from the anal fin to the tail might help if there was a difference but not sure im seeing the scales well enough . or if this would even matter . anyone care to do the same it would be appreciated .

you can notice that fish 2 is a little slimmer and also beat up more . it eats just as much so not sure if it could possibly be slimmer because of possibly being male . i read that females were usually heavier built . in any case fish one is defiantly the dominant fish .

here is a link to the artical again i posted on one page back there are pics showing examples of the fish and anal fins .

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjb/v74n3/1519-6984-bjb-74-03-687.pdf

here are my pics . first two are the ones that matter most i think and a few more just for fun .

fish 1
fin 1.JPG

fish 2

fin 2.JPG

fish 1

IMG_5860.JPG

fish 2

IMG_5849.JPG

fish 1

IMG_5861.JPG

fish 1

IMG_5880.JPG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
im amazed these guys were not flopping all over the place. I am paranoid to do anything like this because I am afraid of hurting the fish.

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
im amazed these guys were not flopping all over the place. I am paranoid to do anything like this because I am afraid of hurting the fish.
nzafi it was soo much easier then i thought as well . i had it all planned out well though .
i wet a towel and laid it over a large Styrofoam box so that it kinda hung down into the box a bit , forming a cradle of sorts .
i caught the fish while they were inside there y connector tubes using as moe suggested , just a regular large aquarium net . by putting the net over the end were there heads were and just lifting it out so they were trapped .
moe was some what correct , in that once they were out of the water they didnt flop too much . the one did more then the other , but not a lot . they are very slippery though , and if i didnt use the wet towel for a cradle they would have probably been very hard to hold onto . even with just a couple thrashes likely would have ended up on the floor .

nzafi did you read the artical ? what do you think female for fish 1 ?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
heres a few more pics you can see the way i used the box and towel better

IMG_5867.JPG IMG_5878.JPG IMG_5869.JPG

and another anal fin on fish 1

IMG_5873.JPG

and a tape pic lol . i guess i was off by half an inch , calling them 13 earlier although the fish is somewhat bent on the towel soo ...

IMG_5865.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
what do you think moe ? both female ? fish one for sure i think
Yea I just read the whole article you shared again to make sure. Both female to me. And told you they relax lol wolves aren't that bad, just don't put your finger in their mouth is all lol. My worse experience is my gold, thing doesn't like staying still in the water or out lol. They are slippery but I find two hands does the trick to atleast keep the in the towel till they settle down. They're nothing like a cichlid though, who flop around almost constantly. The calmest fish I've handled out of water ime. And they're tough fish not much to worry about there. Just put them on a towel and all good to go. Hell I've had a wolf jump out over night, fairly dried up, still make it once back in water, but I've also had one die like that.

Lol the coolest part of the article was the difference I weight between to fish. The biggest and the first one which is the second biggest. The biggest was what 7cm linger which translates to 2.5" or so, but a whole 1.8kg more. Shows how heavily bodied they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store