Needle nose Gar

Jose_muniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2017
Hello! I was wondering if the needle nose gar can be out of water? What about the marble gar? Or silver gar? Any comments?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hello! I was wondering if the needle nose gar can be out of water? What about the marble gar? Or silver gar? Any comments?
Not long. They are sensitive fish in general and stress super easy.

Jose_muniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2017
Not long. They are sensitive fish in general and stress super easy.
But can they breath air? Or no? && also do the “needle nose” get any more fatter? Mine is really skinny even when she eats she’ll be skinny by the next day and how big does it need to be so I can see her teeth? Sorry I’m so into my “Gars”

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
But can they breath air? Or no? && also do the “needle nose” get any more fatter? Mine is really skinny even when she eats she’ll be skinny by the next day and how big does it need to be so I can see her teeth? Sorry I’m so into my “Gars”
They don’t breathe air. They don’t have artificial lungs. They will be lean and not get a lot of girth. Eating and the food lump gone is a sign of good digestion. So not a bad thing.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Hey brother, your fish is a Belonid (like the marine needlefish) and NOT a gar. It's more closely related to halfbeaks than gars. They are not as tough as gars. They also spook easily and might jump out of your tank and die, so make sure you have tight lids.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They don’t breathe air. They don’t have artificial lungs. They will be lean and not get a lot of girth. Eating and the food lump gone is a sign of good digestion. So not a bad thing.
Sorry should have typed primitive lungs and not artificial. Wrong wording lol.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Sorry should have typed primitive lungs and not artificial. Wrong wording lol.
Haha I was just about to react to this.

Jose_muniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2017
So what would be the closest fish to a gar? Since I live in Cali n they not legal here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store