Tidal stream aquarium

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
This is a crude drawing of an aquarium I would like to build. While this one gives dimensions the dimensions could be changed and still be the basic tidal stream as long as the various relationships between the dimensions are kept the same. This is the smallest really practical size but if I were to build it I would probably increase the lengths of the three rectangular sides from 24" to 48" while retaining the other dimensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backfromthedead

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I forgot some details, wave maker type pumps would cause a current in the clockwise direction for 6 hours and then another set would cause a counterclockwise current for 6 hours. The round cylinders should cause a gyre type whirling current the opposite direction as the main current and switch with the current every 6 hours.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
That is an ambitious DIY my friend. Lots of seams that could leak, non square angles, etc.

I'd love to see videos of it when up and running, but I hope you are a pro...

Reactions: Moontanman

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
That is an ambitious DIY my friend. Lots of seams that could leak, non square angles, etc.

I'd love to see videos of it when up and running, but I hope you are a pro...
A pro at fishkeeping maybe, not a pro at acrylic. I'd have to win the lotto to have it built but I think the premise is sound...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store