Baby catfish ID help?

Bubblez420

Feeder Fish
Nov 16, 2017
Hi. I'm new to the aquarist world but so far I'm madly in love with my little guys. But being new I sure could use some mentoring. I have 9 bullheads and have had them for 3months now and they have already doubled in size. My issue is I'm really not sure what I'm doing. I change water regularly and normally keep it at about 86º but this last couple week they seem to be itchy but no signs of ich although there was no signs I still treated them. But nothing Seems to be working and from my research I found most products to be harmful to shameless fish and I so madly in love with my little guys I'd hate for anything bad happen to them. But they look so miserably itchy. Did more research and trying to do a salt bath and I slowly Raised the tempature over a few days to what is now reading 90º but I don't know if im doing anything right. Plz help

1510895508229178023937.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi. I'm new to the aquarist world but so far I'm madly in love with my little guys. But being new I sure could use some mentoring. I have 9 bullheads and have had them for 3months now and they have already doubled in size. My issue is I'm really not sure what I'm doing. I change water regularly and normally keep it at about 86º but this last couple week they seem to be itchy but no signs of ich although there was no signs I still treated them. But nothing Seems to be working and from my research I found most products to be harmful to shameless fish and I so madly in love with my little guys I'd hate for anything bad happen to them. But they look so miserably itchy. Did more research and trying to do a salt bath and I slowly Raised the tempature over a few days to what is now reading 90º but I don't know if im doing anything right. Plz help

Welcome aboard :)
What size aquarium do you have them in?
What are your water parameters?
Was the aquarium completely finished cycling prior to adding the Catfish?
Tbh I suggest stop medicating the aquarium until you really find out what is the issue. Also what type of filtration are you using?

Bubblez420

Feeder Fish
Nov 16, 2017
15gal tank theres 9 bullheads and they are like 2inchs long and I did make sure it was completely cycled and sorry I don't know what parameters is and I did stop medicating 6days ago and did a 50% water change and cycled for a couple days then started increasing temperature a few days ago and then today ive but a total of 2tsps of salt in 1/4tsp increments ever couple hrs but seems the warmer the temperature has got the itchy they get i just checked temp reading 89.5

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
15gal tank theres 9 bullheads and they are like 2inchs long and I did make sure it was completely cycled and sorry I don't know what parameters is and I did stop medicating 6days ago and did a 50% water change and cycled for a couple days then started increasing temperature a few days ago and then today ive but a total of 2tsps of salt in 1/4tsp increments ever couple hrs but seems the warmer the temperature has got the itchy they get i just checked temp reading 89.5

A 15 gal is too small for even 1 Bullhead.
Parameters are Ammonia, Nitritte, Nitrate and Ph. I suggest taking a sample of water to your lfs and have your water tested if you don't have a test kit such as API Freshwater Test Kit. I'm not sure exactly what size aquarium you will need for 9 fully mature Bullheads for life but it probably will be over 100 gallons. The Bullheads don't have scales so the salt will irritate them. Ich is small white specks that will be seen on the body and fins of the fish. If you don't see anything on the Bullheads body they are flashing either from water conditions or the salt.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Davdav - you want some? I can send you a couple if you want. Or grow them out for a few months and send them to you once the weather gets cooler....

I read in a couple places that they eat plants. I don't know how I feel about that as my growout tank is planted and I'd like to keep it that way.

Either way, I think I'll grab another one and bring it home. I have access to several ponds should it need another home down the road.
I've never seen them eat plants, I've kept hundreds of them over the years, I have 7 right now. One brown and six spotted bullheads...

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

View attachment 1284575
As suggested above, definitely test your water parameters and see if you can diagnose what the problem is before medicating any more. Also, Ictalurid Catfish, in my experience, don't seem to be too fond of salt even in low concentrations. And as far as the water temp, I'd take it down to at least 78-80°. They can tolerate up to about 92° but anything higher than that could be lethal. My mature 13" Yellow prefers it between 63-76°F.

Reactions: Moontanman

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm rather sure they are flashing because of the ammonia in the water, which irritates their skin. Do you know how to test water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, as stated above?

The ammonia must read zero ppm by a liquid test tube test. Don't use dip sticks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store