Starting a 75 build around 2 Red Spotted Severums

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
One severum with the loaches sounds better to me. It removes the risk of them going ham on each other or going to town on other fish if they breed. Also less water changes :D

Also on clown loaches, there are others such as yoyos which have all the fun at a much smaller final size! If you do take clowns there are plenty of people who'd take them when they outgrow your tank, often fetching an okay price too. So there should be options for you :)

Welcome aboard! :)
Appreciate that advice! One Severum is better than none severum! Will consider that while finishing my stock plan.

rucus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
Nebraska
WWW.FISHTAILAQUATICS.COM
Welcome to the forum officially. 75 gallon is a great size tank that opens up lots of new possibilities. I like your stocking ideas. Check out the botia loaches as they don't get as big and are also fun to watch. Looking forward to hearing what you end up stocking that tank with. And pictures!

Reactions: McLovin

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'll definitely be adding pictures as I progress. Plan to get a lot done around Thanksgiving!

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I have a 90 with 2 sevs , congo tetras, and some cories. I ended up getting a third sev because after a couple of months one sev became dominate and bullied the other. got the 3rd sev to displace aggression.. tank is peaceful now..fingers crossed .. btw the goldline cories are breeding in this tank . Sevs may pick off a couple but there is plenty left.

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
I have a 90 with 2 sevs , congo tetras, and some cories. I ended up getting a third sev because after a couple of months one sev became dominate and bullied the other. got the 3rd sev to displace aggression.. tank is peaceful now..fingers crossed .. btw the goldline cories are breeding in this tank . Sevs may pick off a couple but there is plenty left.
I think I'll start with one sev and go from there. The more I'm reading and hearing, it seems like that's the best best for a peaceful 75. Awesome about the cories breeding! (just looked up the goldline, and they are really beautiful)

True statement! The clowns grow like molasses.....painfully slow
Thanks for reiterating that they won't get to their massive size for quite some time. As I've said earlier, other forums would tear me apart for wanting to do this. Appreciate the support!

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thing is many people keep arowana and other fast growing fish in small tanks with the promise of an upgrade that never happens. There's too many and it can be hard to rehome, stuff like clown loaches will take forever to outgrow and there's plenty of people who'd take them. :)

McLovin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hey guys, so I did a thing. I just grabbed two (2) small, what were called, 'Super Red Severums'. I picked them up off aquabid. You guys had me basically thinking I was going to only go with one sev, but when it came to paying for shipping, it was the same price for one fish or more. So, I opted for 2. They are tiny guys. Both are still a bit skittish, and one hides behind my sponge when I'm in the room. They are in a 10 gallon quarantine and getting 20% water changes
every two days. For reference, those plumbing fittings are 2".

Will keep them in here for 4 weeks or so to finish the cycle on my 75, and then they'll move over to their play land!

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.PNG

IMG_0583.PNG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store