Is this ich on my Caribe?

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Hey guys. I noticed this odd spot on my Caribe last night. Its doesn't really look like the typical white suger-like dots you normally associate with ich. Its a bit larger but it really looks more like a strange discoloration? Its almost hard to notice at first. It really depends what angle you look at on how well you can see the outline. Look at the pic head on you can barely see anything vs the angled shot. There is no raised surface or anything that I can tell. He's eating normal and swims around the tank normal. I did give him 2 or 3 feeders about a week back (which I don't normally do) I just happed to get tossed some extras at the store. Could be a scratch or burn from a heater?

20171117_182801.jpg

20171117_182804.jpg

20171117_182815.jpg

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
The camera also makes it look quite a bit brighter than it really is. But you can see the head on angle it nearly disappears

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looks like a scrape to me. Hopefully will clear up with pristine water conditions. Btw do you quarantine the feeders ?

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Well...no. But he doesnt get feeders usually. The only reason he got those last week was because the guy at the store threw me some. Hmm I wonder how he scratched himself that good. There isn't really much in the tank with an edge. Ill keep an eye on him.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Feeders do not only carry ick, but can be carriers bacterial, viral and other protozoan infections, like saprologenia, lymphocyctu,s and columnaris. And most of these temperate or cool water fish used as feeders (minnows, goldfish, etc) can become especially virulent, or shed these phages when put in warmer waters of a tropical tank.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store