Dart frogs

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That looks awesome!

What's their main diet?

This is something I've wanted to try I'm the past, but never pulled the trigger on it. The closest I'd came, was green tree frogs, about 20 years ago. Life is just too busy now, and I already have too much on my plate.

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
I appreciate that. The blue ones (tinctorius azureus) tank needs a good window washing.

The staple diet is fruit flies.

Yeah I feel your pain there. If things ever slow down darts are well worth it. Maintenance is almost non existent on a vivarium.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Hey, nice darts and vivariums! I've wanted to setup a dart tank for years but I just never had the time. I should since I already breed 2 species of fruit flies for my Lygodactylus williamsi geckos!

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I understand that exotic frogs are now banned for import,are there many breeders of dart frogs around?

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I understand that exotic frogs are now banned for import,are there many breeders of dart frogs around?
I know it's illegal to export some species out of particular countries where they are protected or native. Certain countries farm exotic frogs for the pet trade such as Red-eyes. Almost all the darts that you see for sale are captive bred anymore. Most breed readily in captivity and are not hard to raise from the egg to tadpole to adult stage. They do eat a lot and a varied diet is good practice. I have a friend who keeps and breeds a couple species. He also feeds his springtails and bean beetles. Josh's Frogs sells a lot of captive bred species.

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/frogs-for-sale/all-poison-dart-frogs.html

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I know it's illegal to export some species out of particular countries where they are protected or native. Certain countries farm exotic frogs for the pet trade such as Red-eyes. Almost all the darts that you see for sale are captive bred anymore. Most breed readily in captivity and are not hard to raise from the egg to tadpole to adult stage. They do eat a lot and a varied diet is good practice. I have a friend who keeps and breeds a couple species. He also feeds his springtails and bean beetles. Josh's Frogs sells a lot of captive bred species.

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/frogs-for-sale/all-poison-dart-frogs.html
Thanks I had a redeyed a few years ago and would like to have another as well as some dart frogs in the near future.
It is only a petition at this time.
dendroboard has more info if youre so inclined.
I will give it a look!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store