High Back Golden Arowana baby... or is it ?

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Hi thank you :)
To answer your question I tease the baby a bit before feeding the first feed of the day, in order to get the baby to recognise the hand as the giver of food, to get the Arowana to trust the hand, also most importantly to trigger the hunting instinct within the fish as he feels he is about to pounce on the dangling food. He becomes very active like a cichlid when he sees my hand after I trained him this way. :)
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to answer.... its an interesting way to train them.

With mine, i dangled the food inside the tank and made her take the food from my hand
She is very tame now and comes to my hand and allows us to pat her.
If we go next to the tank she rubs herself against the glass asking for attention.

Reactions: Magic Water

Magic Water

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
Water
Hi,

With mine, i dangled the food inside the tank and made her take the food from my hand
If we go next to the tank she rubs herself against the glass asking for attention.
I have been trying that too, but he is lightening quick and I risk getting bitten, may be when he is bigger and I can dangle bigger pieces of shrimps I can try that out. With the tiny pieces I feed him at this size it’s too difficult to dangle food in and not get bitten :)

You have a Red Arowana ? Sounds like a great pet

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I have been trying that too, but he is lightening quick and I risk getting bitten, may be when he is bigger and I can dangle bigger pieces of shrimps I can try that out. With the tiny pieces I feed him at this size it’s too difficult to dangle food in and not get bitten :)

You have a Red Arowana ? Sounds like a great pet
Thank you.. yes, i have a red.
I have always hand fed her since small.. lucky i havent been bitten yet!!
She comes dashing for the food but somehow always takes it without biting.

They are very special pets and yours will be too full of character especially as they get older
You will love and enjoy yours.

Reactions: Magic Water

imagicaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2017
Hi,

You can actually pet her? :eek: I wanna train mine too then! By the way, congrats on the ownership Magic Water!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store