What's wrong with dat?

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
My small 5" dat is struggling to.maintain balance and swim. I know they often stand at funny angles, but this is different.

He struggles to even swim down to get food. Any ideas what wrong? And how to treat it? Swim bladder?

Before I'm asked,tank s 400gal, rays and tinfoil in it. Watee params fine and not changed, eaten fine yesterday, and no sign of this yesterday?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Man, that sure doesn't look good. I always suspect water quality first, but you are a ray keeper, and your rays would show signs of that before your dat would. I'd get him into shallower water and see of that helps him. He may have got pinned by a ray and bruised his swim bladder. Keeping him in shallow water should help his buoyancy and give him a chance to recover. It's probably worth a try. If he's still eating, that's a good sign.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Man, that sure doesn't look good. I always suspect water quality first, but you are a ray keeper, and your rays would show signs of that before your dat would. I'd get him into shallower water and see of that helps him. He may have got pinned by a ray and bruised his swim bladder. Keeping him in shallow water should help his buoyancy and give him a chance to recover. It's probably worth a try. If he's still eating, that's a good sign.
Thanks.

He hasn't eaten today but did yesterday.

Thanks I've moved him to a 4x3 holding tank which is only 18" tall, he seems much better in this, albeit still not great

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I think your right about the water not being the problem, as not only are the rays okay, but so is the dats colour. When water quality does down, normally he goes almost completely black!

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Definitely think the above comment above bout being pinned by a Ray May be it. I've just noticed The dat has a graze on its side, and My male marble has few small cuts around it's mouth, presumably from dats spines lol

He seems better today hopefully he was just drowsy yesterday! Lol

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Good to hear he's on the mend. I suspected that because my dat routinely puts himself right in front of the rays. They have come close to pinning him, but he's pretty big and can get out of it. He's a bit of a dare devil.

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
What wavemakers or powerhead are you running in there?
I have never run a Dat tank with too much circulation or current other than the water coming out from the outflow skimming the surface..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store