Algae takeover

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Its just Diatoms man no biggie soft tooth brush and it will come off. It does look like your plants are struggling. What are you using for fertrs. You dont need to add excel to your tank like suggested. I see zero BBA, Excel is glutaraldehyde based so you dont want to use that if you can help it.. tI may have a source of carbon but 1/100 of the amount of direct co2.. total waste of money unless using it on BBA or something serious.. I would look into getting some decent fertilizer
Thanks! What type of ferts do you recommend?. Right now just have liquid chemicals from aqua vitro. Was thinking about getting flourish tabs, but not sure if they are cost efficient.

In addition to the diatoms, there is some type of grayish strand algae that looks like little hairs on my vals and is fuzzy on my driftwood. I think it might be BBA, but not sure. If I take an updated pic, do you mind IDing?

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Thanks! What type of ferts do you recommend?. Right now just have liquid chemicals from aqua vitro. Was thinking about getting flourish tabs, but not sure if they are cost efficient.

In addition to the diatoms, there is some type of grayish strand algae that looks like little hairs on my vals and is fuzzy on my driftwood. I think it might be BBA, but not sure. If I take an updated pic, do you mind IDing?
I used the AquaVitro line for a little while but i found it was quite costly buying all the required bottles. I now use a all in one that is super concentrated called Thrive. I is becoming really popular with aquascapers. Ei dosing so it basically throws everything at the plant that it needs so you cant go wrong. Ei dosing does require a weekly water change. That does sound like BBA man i didnt see that in the picture i looked but i must be half blind or something. lol I did just post a video in here on how to kill BBA using excel. I dont suggest to dose the tank but to spot treat the tank and perform a water change after that. You really dont want that stuff in your tank any longer than it need to be as its a glutaraldehyde based product.. I do show how i applied the product to the trouble spots.

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I used the AquaVitro line for a little while but i found it was quite costly buying all the required bottles. I now use a all in one that is super concentrated called Thrive. I is becoming really popular with aquascapers. Ei dosing so it basically throws everything at the plant that it needs so you cant go wrong. Ei dosing does require a weekly water change. That does sound like BBA man i didnt see that in the picture i looked but i must be half blind or something. lol I did just post a video in here on how to kill BBA using excel. I dont suggest to dose the tank but to spot treat the tank and perform a water change after that. You really dont want that stuff in your tank any longer than it need to be as its a glutaraldehyde based product.. I do show how i applied the product to the trouble spots.
What does Ei stand for?

The gray strands on my driftwood and plants. BBA? 62BCBEE9-4F16-4055-AF0D-CD6D1C848DFE.jpeg
05D1530A-9BC3-4977-A262-3FB52DAFCEF4.jpeg 0ED29210-9D6E-4007-9DCD-93AB73947EA8.jpeg diatoms are going away. I put an algaecide in the tank(tetra algaecide). Didn’t do anything for the BBA. Is this BBA? Hoping to eradicate this bugger soon, so I can get some new plants!

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Sorry mate i have been ill with the flu for a week.. EI dosing stands for estimated index dosing. I will try to find you an article on it that will help you out. That dont look like BBA. I showed your picture to a buddy of mine who has a greater knoledge base on algae and he said it looks like rhizoclonium algae... I will copy his reply.

That looks like rhizoclonium algae to me...usually due to higher nitrate areas or too high of flow or a combination of the two....excel works for it as does manual removal

Attached info on Ei dosing http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store