Channa Pleurophthalma, groupe size vs tank size.

weedmand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
hey guys.

So i have been searching around the web trying to figure out how big of a tank pleuros need as adults. I have found some vague threads about it, but i have not been able to find anything specific, like "5 adult pleuros need x size tank" or "10 adult fish needs x size tank" and so on. do anybody have any info on this? i would very much like to get a group of pleuros at some point, but i want to have the equipment i need to take care of them before i get them and i don't want to go buy 10 fish and only being able to house 5 adult fish.

Thanks in advance.

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
I would happily keep a group of pleuros in a 6ft tank. I think it's been a popular suggestion that they cohabit in a group, even in adulthood. But the I've seen many posts saying that they often end up like other species, a pair or alone. They are my second favorite snakehead, I'll be getting a group of 5 for my 6ft tank when my adult aurantimaculata dies of old age, hopefully he has a few more years in him yet.

weedmand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I would happily keep a group of pleuros in a 6ft tank. I think it's been a popular suggestion that they cohabit in a group, even in adulthood. But the I've seen many posts saying that they often end up like other species, a pair or alone. They are my second favorite snakehead, I'll be getting a group of 5 for my 6ft tank when my adult aurantimaculata dies of old age, hopefully he has a few more years in him yet.
thanks for the reply.
so somthing like a 1400l (400gallon) for 5 adult fish? I went to my local fish store today, and talked a bit with the guy there, and he actully has a 2500l tank for sale relatively cheap, theres about 9,8 feet long 3.2 feet deep and 2,6 feet tall. How meny adult pleuros do you guys think i can keep in that?

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
My tank is 6ft x 2ft x 2 ft. I would get 5 fish, expecting to end up with 2. If you managed to keep a large group happy, you might be able to keep 5 or 6 adults in the 9ft tank. I'm no expert in what volumes of water for what fish, but they appreciate plenty of space.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Funnily enough, I asked the same question to Devon a few days ago.

I plan on adding some in my 180, and wondered how his group was doing as they get closer and closer to maturity.

if I get an answer, i'll let you know! :)

Going to tag him here in case he doesn't see it :)

D -DC-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store