When your relatives have bad tanks, tell them to fix it!

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Well, it began with my grandmother getting a pet goldfish, she put him in a 20 gallon, too small already. She bought three more and an albino Cory sold to her as an algae eater." I thought oh crap, the bioloads gonna be huge in that tank, I should probably say something"! Well anyway I felt bad about saying anything so I didn't, until I came back again for another visit, and saw the tank, cloudy as ever, and told her she should probably do water changes a wee little more often. I came back today and saw the tank and thought "that's enough, i'm gonna have to do something about this", I spent 2 hours doing multiple water changes on a tank you wouldn't believe! The main substrate in that bowl of death was poop and algae, you couldn't see to the back of an already small enough tank, filter cartridges were absolutely nasty, and didn't have a chiller or anything in the tank! I'm surprised the goldfish hadn't died from the 80 degree water, but also from the 300 nitrates as well, the tank was covered in algae and black beard brush to the extent that you could barely get a glimpse at the fish, much less through the cloudy water with poop floating everywhere! I drained, filled, drained and filled the tank till there wasn't much poop left and I could actually see the fish! After all that I had a LONG talk with her on aquarium care and asked if she could drive the both of us down to a big box fish store and I could help her buy some necessary equipment. She eventually confessed as to not knowing what a water change was, (it's sorta obvious lol) and to feeding huge pinches of low quality flake twice a day, everyday, as well as not knowing any basic care on fish pretty much whatsoever. Lesson learned, tell your relatives (if they have tanks) about fish care even if it does sound a little crititive!

SteelNSorcery

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
West Virginia
I always try to get them excited about the care of it and try to teach them that the work involved is a labor of love that helps us decompress and lighten our stress. Then try to get them hungry to learn more about it. I find that usually people do care and a bit of ignorance is nothing major to overcome.
I feel you handled the situation very well. Keep it up!

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I'm looking forward to my mother setting up her tank I bought her for Christmas. I went ahead and added her to fish groups on facebook. I have been including fish updates in phone conversations now. I'm excited to see where the hobby takes us.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to my mother setting up her tank I bought her for Christmas. I went ahead and added her to fish groups on facebook. I have been including fish updates in phone conversations now. I'm excited to see where the hobby takes us.
My grandmother doesn't have a phone. Or internet. Or WiFi. Her entertainment is a constantly yelling gray macaw that is at least 30 years old.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Well then! I guess analog facetime is going to be a frequent tool. I would suggest hooking her up with something but the FCC is going to make that difficult shortly.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
She likes water, plumbing, lighting, etc. But that's about it. Other than her TV. She had a phone two years ago but didn't understand/like it, so she got rid of it.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hmm, perhaps you should switch the 20 gallons over to a betta tank and trade in the goldfish? Far easier care and the betta would be really interactive for your grandma. You can get her a few more cory cats and something like a school of ember tetras too.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Depends on the beta though....... Sometimes they're nice, and then other times, well, yeah.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store