Missed my polys

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thing is they eat a lot, poop a lot. Stuff builds up in the substrate producing nitrate and breeding bacteria in higher concentrations (Discus are sensitive to bacteria in general) and it leads to a better chance of stunting or sickening your fish :(

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 hope you don't mind but here's a photo of my mates setup, or a bit of it:IMG_20170909_150437.jpg

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thing is they eat a lot, poop a lot. Stuff builds up in the substrate producing nitrate and breeding bacteria in higher concentrations (Discus are sensitive to bacteria in general) and it leads to a better chance of stunting or sickening your fish :(

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 hope you don't mind but here's a photo of my mates setup, or a bit of it:View attachment 1285048
Its coo, but those look like turqouise strains tho, i kinda see stress bars in the face, i might be wrong tho.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yes they are turqs :)

Not sure about stress, but this guy spends 1.5 hours a day feeding and doing water changes...

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Yes they are turqs :)

Not sure about stress, but this guy spends 1.5 hours a day feeding and doing water changes...
Could doing daily water changes cause stress for the fish? Just wondering, not saying he’s doing anything wrong. But just interested: some of my fish seem like they love it and the others freak out haha.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nope. They are totally cool, he heats the water and all beforehand. Having such regular changes leaves little room for parameter shifts, although when he uses RO to spawn them he has huge PH shifts but the TDS remains the same so there's no real shock :)

Reactions: clm08k

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
A few months ago I found a few really nice bichirs for sale in sfbay cl, and I was wondering if it was you haha. Can't wait for you to get back into the hobby! And this time maybe you'll keep polys and ATFs :D . Also, lmk when you're looking to get a big tank, I know a few people who will be selling their 300+ gallon tanks soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store