Ricardo quezada

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2017
Is there a way to make them more active? They just stay at the bottom of the tank and don't do much. They are juveniles about an inch in length. Water conditions are fine. Living with plecos and feeder guppies. TEMPORARY HOUSING . Eventually moving to soemthing large with other predator fish.
I have feed them sinking shrimp pellets, carnivore pellets, and a piece of ham occaiclaly. I've only seen them eat the ham.

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Beautiful fish! I'm no expert but is it endlerichi? Although it might decrease their lifespan, if they're not that sensetive you could up the tank a few degrees maybe? It could also be they're a bit lethargic because they don't move very much in the first place! They are a rather inactive fish.

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
And one more thing, you do realize you posted this in the marine section? If it was accident, don't worry I did it once too, so don't let it bother ya.

Reactions: magpie

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Repost your thread under Ancient fish click Polypterus and start new thread .
As for the Endli's they are not active all the time like most poly species.

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Agree - this won't get much traffic here. A mod might be able to move it to the polypterus subforum?

Anyway, the previous poster is correct. These guys just aren't active fish. Did you research before you bought them? What behavior are you expecting? The ones you got in particular are supposed to be log-like. ;) Senegals and Pollis are more active bichirs.

Most people here do the pellets like you, and tilapia or silversides/smelt. They also love live earthworms. I'd skip the ham, as it's not really made to be fed to fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

Thyroyalgeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Exactly like what the above folks said, if I was gonna get a bichir I would get a Senegalus, because at our local petsmart, which I hate because big box petstores and they stink, when we go to buy dogfood I'll glance over at the tank to see if they have a mono or something like that and the senegals, which are called dinosaur bichir there, are very very active.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store